1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick Preparations

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by The Chickens' Maid, May 19, 2009.

1. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    Hi! I'm kind of new here. We're hatching out chicks for the first time, and I just wanted to know if I have the preparations right.
    The hen's in a main coop nesting box right now; I don't want to move her, so I was thinking that I'd let her hatch the eggs in there. Then I'd have a medium size dog kennel ready to put her and the chicks in as soon as they hatch so that the other hens don't bug them. The dog kennel would have a towel on the floor and shavings underneath that. I have a small cement block about an inch and a half tall that I've put the chickens' food and water on before. I thought I'd put that in there to put their water on so it didn't tip (I'm using a quail waterer so they don't drown themselves). I have a small dog dish for their food (chick starter from Tractor Supply). I was also thinking of putting some hay in there for the hen to nest into.
    Just wanted to make sure I was doing this right. We're just bouncing off the walls; 100% fertilized and they hatch next week!
    Oh, and what should I give the chicks for grit, if they even need it?
    Thanks!

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  2. lukewride

lukewride Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    England
    Hello!!

It sounds to me like your pretty well organised. i cant think of anything else you'd need . in regards to grit, it isent essential until you start to feed the chicks anything other than chick crumb. they need grit to help them digest greens or treats and whatnot... i mixed a small amount in with the chick crumb when mine were around 2 weeks old and started to feed small mealworms, styrawberries and peices of bread.. they went crazy for the worms..

something i was told i should do when mine were a day old was add a teaspoon on sugar into their water to help give the weaker chicks energy but this is something that alot of more experianced breeders say isent nessesary.... i suppose its down to each persons individual tastes.

best of luck!!

we expect pictures.

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  3. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    Chicks are due for next week, but here's a picture of the momma.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by