Chick Pricing

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by KAKBucks, Sep 1, 2008.

1. KAKBucks

KAKBucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Hey everyone,

I'm curious what people are charging for chicks. I know it varies a lot by location and breed.

I have been getting $3 a piece for some very nice mixed breed chicks (beautiful coloring from great brown layers). And I just started hatching some pure breds, silkies, cuckoo marans, and light brahma banties. I should have buckeyes by mid fall. What are people charging for pure breds?

I, personally, expect to pay more for chicks from a small breeder than from a hatchery. Higher quality, you know what you're getting, who you're getting it from, and you can get a smaller quantity.

I'm curious what prices are across the country, but I'm in Central Ohio.

Thanks!

Kendra

PS Curious about hatching egg prices as well!

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Pure breeds around here go for $3 to $3.50 each with mixed breeds going for $1.50 to $2 each. It sounds like your already getting the pure breed price for you mixed breed chicks! That's great! Maybe try charging $4.50 for the pure breeds. If they don't sell for that price then you can always lower the price. Rule of thumb is that it is better to charge to much at first and then lower the price than to little and not make what you could have. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by