Chick Problem !!!! RIP LITTLE CHICK !!!!! THIS IS HEARTBREAKING !!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by swtangel321, Jul 24, 2008.

1. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I got my order of 15 chicks today, chirpy little girls !!!!!!! I holding one of them and noticed that I wasn't opening it's eyes at all, so I held it for a few min to see if it would open them, it didn't..... Is this something I should be worried about ? Should I call the chick place ? Just don't know if this is normal in baby chicks ???

UPDATE !!!!!!!!!!!

Shes laying there breathing real heavy, with drool stuff coming out of her mouth... is there anything I can do ???

I did get some water into her, but she wouldnt take any food !!!
    I thought maybe it was to cold in the brooder bo about 80-82, so i lowered the lamp a little about 90-98 (in some spots) still can move to be cooler if they like.... It seemed to make her worse... Did I kill her ??? Or maybe the water I made her drink ??? Gems ????
    Does this happen to some chicks ???

Ohhhh this is so heartbreaking !!!!!!!

Another Update

Little chickie died last night, we did all we could do.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  2. bearz

bearz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    I had one like that in my bunch. I separated it from the others into its own box with food and water and a couple of the smallest ones so it wouldn't get trampled. Its own heat lamp etc. It just needed a little time to perk up and now Runt, as we call her, is just fine.

3. bluebirdfarm

bluebirdfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

do u no if it has drank water or eaten ?>
    i would say to maybe isolate it and keep watch , i do not hthink this is normal for a chick.
    hope somone else will reply to this.

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I am going through almost the same thing here. I have sugar in the water for her the first day, am giving her drops of water on her beak every hour or so, made a mash and hand feeding her small bits, makde her mash runny enough for a syringe and feeding her drop by drop and all she wants to do is stand and sleep.

It is called a failure to thrive and it just happens sometime. Do all that you can for her and hope for the best. Some of the little ones just never make it and it is nothing you are doing or have done. I ordered polvisol without Iron and will pick up at pharmacy tomorrow ...I just hope she makes it through the night.

Mine never had anything come out of her mouth...try dropping one drop of water at a time on the TIP of her beak...very important not to dip her beak into the water too far because she could easily drown.

Good luck to you.

5. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Thanks !!! She wont even stand up and her feet are all curled up, tryed the water thing she drank a little then got worse..... I dunno, kinda wish she would just pass on so I didnt have to sit here and look at her sufering !!!! it took them a long time to get here 2 1/2 days and when I took her out she was a little iffy, then they all looked ok, i did notice one time after I diped her beak in she did it on he own and she stuck it pretty far in and looked like she got it all up her nose !!!! who knows !!! Thanks for the help

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    My little one is still hanging in there and she is getting some food down and some water....but not eating or drinking on her own.

Strange really because she ate and drank immediately upon arriving home and then just stopped after that. they got to me within 36 hours of hatching and shipping. I think that sometimes they are just not meant to stay with us. I am not giving up on her though...she will get every chance I can give her but if she does not help, then I know she was not meant to be here.

I think the same thing every hour when I check on her and give her sugar water but then again, I am telling her to perk up and help me a little. So, I will let nature decide and keep doing everything I can for her.

Good luck with your girl.

7. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Well we lost her last night, guess it wasn't meant to be !!!!! Same here when I took them all out everyone was eating/drinking, wasnt for a few hours later that she decided to go down hill.... They took a long time to get to me so i'm sure that didn't help, Well goodluck with you little one

8. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    [​IMG] Sorry you lost her [​IMG]

9. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Thanks !!!!! it's always so hard even if you only knew em for a few hours !!!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Out of all the chicks I've hatched over the last couple of years, I had three who refused to keep on living. Two were from shipped eggs and one was from my own birds. It just happens for whatever reason and I know you did all you could do. If at some point, they wont take over and eat and drink on their own, it's hopeless. I'm sorry you lost one. It's never easy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by