1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick Problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mylied, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Mylied

Mylied Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    I'm just full of problems lately. One of my chicks got stuck in the feeder (long one with holes in the top) and now It won't stand. It's like its body is stretched out when it tries to stand. It can sit alright. I gave it some electrolytes and have food in with it. Think it was just numb or something and it might be ok? Or should I put it down? Chick is about a week old.

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Give it time. Hopefully it'll be ok, but it's way too soon to put it down.

3. Mylied

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    Ok. Just feeling a little frustrated lately and didn't want it to suffer. It seems ok sitting on the heating pad and I've been giving it a drink because I don't have an extra water bottle. This last batch of chicks I got has been a pain.

4. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    Yeah, I hear you. Could you get a little shallow dish or something? That might be easier.

5. Mylied

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia

He can't walk and just falls over, so I'm afraid he'd drown himself. I have to go out in a little bit, so I'll just pick up another water bottle then. Never hurts to have some extras. I've just got chickens all over the place right now so all mine are in use. Lol.

6. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    No, it doesn't!

7. Mylied

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    He's fine. I was worried about nothing. Went out and wrangled some hens I'm selling and came back to him peeping his head off and walking around a bit. I put him back with the others. Thanks!

8. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    Great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by