Chick problem

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by moodlymoo, Nov 5, 2011.

1. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    has anyone had an issue with a chick sounding like it has a respiratory problem but not showing any signs EXCEPT crackly wet sounds when it is breathing? She is very active, eating and drinking well, pooping fine, no discharge from mouth nose eyes or beak. I havent had a sick chick before so I dont know what to do. She is in a brooder with 3 other chicks.

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Have you put vitamin drops in the water? Just watch them.

3. moodlymoo

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    I added sav-a-chick today and I am considering dosing them with sulmet. Its the only meds I have.

4. SteveBaz

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I added sav-a-chick today and I am considering dosing them with sulmet. Its the only meds I have.

Just bc its the only med you have does not mean its the right one. Sulmet is for respiratory but it is pretty general?​

5. moodlymoo

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    Steve, why dont you just come over lol [​IMG] The reason I am considering giving it is to head off anything nasty that may be coming on hopefully. Its not really bad YET and I would like to keep it that way

6. SteveBaz

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Urban Farm Supply is on 22 and SE Belmont and (503) 234-7733 I would call and see what idea they may have. Very nice people very knowledgeable and have most of the meds right there. Then the Coastal Ranch Supply I mentioned is a gigantic store and has everything Farm and Ranch related supplies. I think all the Portland Folks should get together and meet really. Some weekend. It would be a kick to get together.

7. moodlymoo

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    I got her from urban farm store lol. In fact I have gotten ALL of my birds from them. I love them. They said give sulmet but then again...they say that for everything which is why I have it. They told me to give it to a slow growing chick who turned out to just be a cockerel.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  8. SteveBaz

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    They told me to give it to a slow growing chick who turned out to just be a cockerel.

Millie turn into Marc [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. moodlymoo

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
  10. SteveBaz

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Hanna looks like a hank except for the eye liner? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by