chick problem

Discussion in 'Quail' started by kinsley98, Jan 15, 2015.

1. kinsley98

kinsley98 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2014
    uk
    Hi everyone i have 30 quail eggs and yesterday they started to hatch i helped 2 out and one died the other one made it but does not stand on his legs he he lays on his side and tries to get up but does not manage. The other one was hatching and i left it about 2 hours later i went to check and it did not manage to open the egg and unfortunately died aswell :(. What do you guys think is the problem my grandfather told me it might be that they were in bred till now only 3 hatched and died and the other one looks very weak. Any sugestion on why they are dying? thanks.

2. Lalegid

Lalegid Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2014
    I'm sorry to hear that, I know what it's like to lose chicks :(

What kind of incubator are you using, what temperature is it set at, and what is the humidity level?
    Also, what type of quail?

I probably can't help a whole lot as I'm relatively new to incubating myself, but I know there are others on here who have a lot of experience, I'm sure they can help out. :)

3. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    What species of quail are these? What temps and humidity did you use? Forced or still air?

How many days since you set the eggs? Did anymore hatch? They can hatch over several days.

Are they hatching on their own or are you helping them?

4. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    Sorry about the quail chicks, [​IMG] As hard as it is, you really need to let them hatch on their own. There is a period of time where they just rest and absorb yolk before finishing up the hatching process. If they are not strong enough to hatch by themselves, then chances are they will not make it anyway. Best of luck!

5. kinsley98

Dec 24, 2014
    uk
    Hi guys thanks all for your support. 4 quails hatched and they all died 2 survived for 1 day but they were incapable of standing on their feet and died after i then waited another 2 days and there were no other hatches so i opened the eggs and nearly all of the 40 eggs had a baby quail inside but they were all dead some were small while others looked like they were about to hatch. Do you guys think what might have caused this maybe lack of humidity? I now have 4 mallard eggs and 9 chicken eggs in the incubator maybe i will have a successful hatch. :)

6. kinsley98

Dec 24, 2014
    uk
    The breed is European quail

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by