Chick Progression Thread: Cochin Bantams, Golden Laced Sebright, and Old English Game Bantam.

sassychickens76

Songster
Mar 18, 2021
I would like for feedback on the progression of my chicks. I hatched 3 Cochin Bantams last Sunday so I will post picks of them on Sunday. I will be posting weekly picks. I also picked up a Golden Laced Sebright and Old English Game Bantam from TSC. I will post pics of them tonight. He said they got them in last Tuesday and that they are 4-5 days old when they get them. They should be 2 weeks. Here are some things I want feedback on and a couple of questions that I have.
1. What color is the OEGB
2. What is the OEGB's temperament
3. Just have fun and guess if they are male or female
4. If you want a certain picture (comb, wing spread out, legs, etc.) Please say the part of body you want and the week that we are on for future reference.
5. Share any facts you know about Sebrights (egg production, temperament, broodiness level, etc.)
6. Share any facts you know about OEGB (egg production, temperament, broodiness level, etc.)
7. Share your stories about Sebrights
8. Share your stories about OEGB
9. I know this sounds bad, but please share bad experiences so I know what to expect
10. Thank You!

BREED, NAME, WEEK
Golden Laced Sebright, Nugget, Week 2
20210527_112312.jpg

Old English Game Bantam, Chipmunk, Week 2
20210527_112238.jpg

Based on how my OEGB chicks feather in, I think that those babies are actually closer to 1 week old. Here's one of my OEGBs at 1 week and the same bird at 2 weeks, for example. At 2 weeks, there are a lot more feathers.

SDW.jpg
SDW.jpg

Your OEGB is Black Breasted Red. Some of the duckwing-type patterns can be sexed by chick down, but it's not a guarantee that yours is one of those. Your chick has a thick eye stripe, so if she happens to be one that can be sexed by that, that means she's female. Look at her chest feathers at around 3-4 weeks old to confirm that. If they are brown, she's female; if they're black, she's actually a he. :)

It's been a long time since I had Sebrights, but they laid pretty well for an ornamental breed, around 3-4 eggs per week in their prime if I remember correctly. Mine went broody a few times when they were a year old, but not much after that. Mine weren't human friendly, but I bought them as adults so I don't know how much they were handled or anything before then. I think the only 'bad' thing about them that I can remember is that the girls like to crow WAY more than your average hen! One of my Sebright hens even crowed instead of singing the egg song after laying her eggs! 🤣

My OEGBs lay a ton of tiny eggs, not so great because no one wants to use those tiny eensy weensy eggs in recipes so they always pile up! 🤣 Probably 4-5 eggs per week from them in their prime. I love my OEGBs, sweetest little tinies there are! :love

The only bad thing I can think of about the OEGBs is that it can be very hard to integrate them together. With most of my birds, I keep newcomers in an adjacent pen for a few weeks and then they're fine going together. I've been trying for about 5 months now to fully integrate three of my OEGB girls together, and they've reached the point as of about a month ago where they can coexist in their outside ~6x6 foot pen, but if they're in their smaller inside area for bad weather, the two girls who were hatched together will chase and peck their sister until she hides up on the roost. 😩 So yeah, combining groups of OEGBs takes a lot of time and patience.

And I think that covers everything I can answer in your first post.
forehead wipe whew.gif
Looking forward to seeing your Cochin babies! :pop

I was going to try to integrate the Cochins later. I was going to take a roo from one batch and hens from both batches to make a flock at my Grandma's house. I can still take care of them there since I am over there after school Monday-Friday and since it is summer I am over there all day Monday-Friday until Mom gets off work. Thank you for the info that he is a BB red. I have been trying to figure that out. I will update with Cochin pics! It is near impossible though that they are only a week old. TSC got them in last Tuesday.

Back
Top Bottom