Chick prolapse?

AntiqueB

Free Ranging
Aug 27, 2020
Bergen County, NJ
I have a 2 day old chick, poor from the start. She was smallest in the lot of 4, and not active. Today, I noticed her butt looking like this. The string doesn't come loose, though I only pulled gently. Is it a prolapse?
20210616_111157.jpg

I have a 2 day old chick, poor from the start. She was smallest in the lot of 4, and not active. Today, I noticed her butt looking like this. The string doesn't come loose, though I only pulled gently. Is it a prolapse?
View attachment 2720956
weird. like Pippin said i had a similar issue (PeePee is doing fine if thats any reassurance), though i never saw the string-like thing. i wouldn’t recommend pulling because if its stuck on something inside it could hurt her. silly question but are you sure thats not her bellybutton?

2x ... Are you sure it's not it's belly button? Is that a leg to the left of the "item" in question"? Could you get a better picture as to the location of the said "bum"?

Is it between the legs ... thinking it's the belly button with the detached umbilical cord ... Leave it alone, don't remove and let it dry out.

Thank you for the replies. I'm pretty sure it was her vent, but I didn't pull on that thing. Whatever the problem, she vomited, seized, and died. 😭 I don't know what it was that killed her, but like I say, she wasn't doing well from the time she arrived. She had a hard time finding the heat plate, and never really ate or drank, except for a couple drops of water with Nutridrench.

Thank you for the replies. I'm pretty sure it was her vent, but I didn't pull on that thing. Whatever the problem, she vomited, seized, and died. 😭 I don't know what it was that killed her, but like I say, she wasn't doing well from the time she arrived. She had a hard time finding the heat plate, and never really ate or drank, except for a couple drops of water with Nutridrench.
oh no! :( i’m so sorry to hear that. it sounds like she might have malformed in the egg and been born with internal issues. its so hard to lose a chick, i hope the others grow up nice and healthy.

She was probably had something wrong going on while she was in the egg and had an internal problem for the start, it’s not your fault. Sorry for the loss

Thank you all. I was wondering if there was anything I could have done, but I think probably not. I will miss her. I had always wanted an Australorp. Maybe next year.

At least I learned to beware of bellybuttons. That never entered my (not too bright) mind.

Back
Top Bottom