Chick puffing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenlover51, Jun 24, 2010.

1. chickenlover51

chickenlover51 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    I noticed this morning that one of my two-week old chicks is breathing harder than the rest. He seems to get tired out quick and lays down and doesn't really want to get up. The rest seem fine. Any ideas? The breed on this one is a Cornish Roaster. Thanks!

2. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    small amounts of gatoraid take a small bottle or milk jug freeze it ( i freeze a few) keep it in there area where they can access it when they need to if temprature get to hot sounds to me like he is lacking energy also can try a little suger in his water for more energy boost.

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Depending on where you are located, it could be the heat. Chickens cool themselves by panting and holding their wings out from their bodies.

Another issue could be a respiratory infection. Do you see any crust around the nostrils?

Plus, since this is a Cornish X, they are known to have trouble in heat, in times of stress, and when they get too large. Sometimes, even at a young age, they have heart problems and even heart attacks. Sometimes with electrolytes in it will do well. You can use something like Gatorade, Pedialyte, or a vitamin/electrolyte supplement from the feed store.

4. chickenlover51

chickenlover51 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    I never thought of trying gatorade. I will try him with some of that. There isn't any crusting around his nostrils. We do have a pack of electrolytes. It has been pretty hot here the last couple of days. [​IMG] Thanks much for the responses! [​IMG] I will try your suggestions. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by