Chick pulling feathers out - any help or advice?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PinkHairGirl, Sep 10, 2011.

1. PinkHairGirl

PinkHairGirl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2011
    South Africa
    My one little chick seems to be pulling her feathers out, she is constantly scratching under her wing and on her back and seems to have pulled some of her small fluffy feathers out.
    I have had them for about a week and so far they seem to be doing well, she was the smallest but is catching up well and keeps trying to run and fly
    Any ideas what this might be and if I need to do anything?

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Check her really close to be sure she doesn't have mites or something. Mites will either be visible or you'll see clusters of eggs at the base of the feathers. If she looks ok, then just leave her to it. You might give them a chance to dust bathe by giving them a cake pan of sand too. It's really funny to watch them do that. But be warned: sand will fly everywhere. It's their way of grooming and dealing with parasites and overall itchy-ness and it's relaxing for them too. Or letting them run in a small enclosure outside on bare dirt will do it too, they'll figure it out on their own if they find some soft loose soil.

3. PinkHairGirl

PinkHairGirl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2011
    South Africa
    thanks hubby is building a run for them to play outside in the sand. hope it helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by