Chick pulling feathers

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by gsgosselin, Apr 28, 2017.

1. gsgosselin

gsgosselin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2015
    Montgomery, Alabama
    My 4 week old chick is pulling her tail feathers. The others are chewing at her too. There are a total of 4 chicks. All of them are about the same age. She is bleeding, but not bad at all. I know I could remove her but she is still chewing herself. What should I do?

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    A few things can cause feather picking at that age. The most common would be inadequate protein intake. The next most common would be overcrowding. The third, and least likely, is boredom.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Also put Blu-Kote on areas where feathers have been pulled. The color red just begs for pecking to chickens.

1 person likes this.
  4. gsgosselin

Apr 11, 2015
    Montgomery, Alabama

5. gsgosselin

Apr 11, 2015
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have 4 in a large blue tote with wheels. I give them commercial starter feed and I have a little log in there for them to climb on. They can fly out of the tote. I will put some feed in a water bottle with holes in it. Should I put scratch in it?

6. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    At 4 weeks old, they need at least 2 sq feet of space per chick. They are beginning establish their pecking order, and that requires space.

7. gsgosselin

Apr 11, 2015
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have a metal dog crate with 1/4 inch wire mesh covering the sides. It won't be react free. Should I move them into that? It's big enough for a german shepherd

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  8. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It might work for a few more days, but your chicks are doubling in size each week, and their space needs double too. Since you're in Alabama, it's probably plenty warm enough for those chicks to move outside permanently.

9. gsgosselin

Apr 11, 2015
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Then I will need to start introducing them to the rest of the flock. They are all 10 months old

10. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Keep them in the large crate inside the run so that the adults can get used to having the around for a week. Or set up a temporary coop and run next to the adults. That way, the adults get used to the chicks without feeling like their territory is being threatened.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by