Chick pulling feathers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dahlia333, May 13, 2010.

1. dahlia333

dahlia333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Portland
    Hi,

I just got 5 Bantam blue salmon faverolle chicks last Saturday. They are now 3 weeks old. One of them keeps pulling all the other chicks feathers. The other chicks will be doing something else or minding their own business and she will keep pestering them. I'm getting worried because I've read how that can lead to cannibalism [​IMG] yikes.
    In the brooder, I've put a roost, pieces of wood stacked up, and a paper plate with circles all over it for them to peck at....so I've tried to give them things to do. I thought chick food had a lot of protein in it, but would this one chick need more?
    Thanks for your help.
    Dawn

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  2. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    would they eat at the plate? i would be worried they might bite a piece off and it get stuck.......im a worry wart tho lol

3. ChickenCop

ChickenCop Chillin' With My Peeps

I would make sure you put in a red colored light in there with them. Once those chicks draw blood from one of the others it will be bad. The red light will make everything red (of course) and will help from them picking on each other. Good luck.

4. dahlia333

Apr 22, 2010
    Portland
    I have had a red heat lamp over the brooder since bringing them home. And, I change the plate every day--it's pretty sturdy and they don't pick off any pieces.

5. fastpat

fastpat Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Is this behavior merely aggravating the other chicks or is it damaging them? If the former, I'd not be too concerned, the others will resist soon enough. Another contributing factor in pecking is not enough space. Chicks at age 4 weeks need at least 3/4 sq. ft. of floor space per bird. One full sq. ft. by age 8 weeks.

6. dahlia333

Apr 22, 2010
    Portland
    I handle the chicks every day and haven't seen any blood or anything so I guess she is just aggravating everybody. Sometimes the other chicks get mad at her, but sometimes they just let her do it. I will just keep watching. The brooder is 4 feet by 2 feet so it seems they have plenty of room.
    Thanks for the help [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by