Chick Ques.?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BigBuckSnort, Sep 9, 2008.

1. BigBuckSnort

BigBuckSnort Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2008
    I just purchased 4 pullets from a trade day event in Ms. I live in TN and they do not allow the sale of livestock at events like this, and I could not find anywhere else to buy some pullets. But anyhow, my chickens are sick, and I do not know if they are going to make it. I have heard this is rather common when buying chickens from places like that. I really didn't want to get chicks but It seems it might be my best bet for healthy chickens.

Is the winter a bad time to get chicks b/c of the cold? How much trouble is raising chicks? How long before you can relase them into a coop? I want 4 hens, should I order more than that in case some don't make it?

Thanks

2. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't like saying "you should" so here is what I would do..

"Sick" is too general.. how are they sick? Give them vitamins & good clean food & water and keep them clean and keep them contained away from where you wold normally keep your hens.. like the hen house.. so if they ARE seriously sick, you don't contaminate the future home for others. if it's too late for that.. be prepared to disinfect everything if need be.

I think sick chicks at trade shows/swap meets/flea markets are probably common because some folks may want to unload their less than primo stock.. but I don't know that for sure. I won't even go to one.. so I guess the "rumor" worked for me

Winter is not bad if you are willing to provide summer/fall conditions to them regardless of what mother nature is doing for at least a couple of months. They can go into the coop pretty much anytime the weather conditions are ok for them. I don't know where you could order 4 hens from, but I suggest waiting to see what happens with yoru chicks first... if they all die. Try to figure out why so that you don't have something lurking at your place that can infect future flocks, and then find a breeder, check craigslist and ask here on BYC in the Buy/Sell/Trade section. West TN seems to be a popular place for chicken owners (compared to E.TN) so you should have good luck finding quality stock from someone on BYC.

Good luck to you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by