Chick Questions

Chickadee-09

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 3, 2015
Virginia
Hey Everyone,

Not sure if this is the right subject to put this under... but here it goes.

Not many breeders around where I live have the breeds I want.. I found a hatchery in Ohio seems like a good place..

How do ya'll feel about the shipping of chicks??? It just worries me..

Wondering if any of ya'll have done it and how are your chickens doing now??

Thanks ahead of time!!

In my opinion, its much too cold to ship from ohio right now, you could very easily end up with dead chicks.
I would wait until spring. In the meantime, I would read up on the credibility of the hatchery and what their refund and replacement policy is. A lot of good hatcheries offer full refunds or replacements if chicks don't arrive alive. Also look for the shipping time between you and the hatchery may be. Chicks will be absorbing thd egg yolk for up to 72 hours after hatch and do not need food or water, but will need it immediately after. If the hatchery can ship to you in 1-2 days, excellent.
Ive recieved plenty of shipped chicks and the only issue I ever had was the hatchery once sent them in the middle of February, to Michigan, and almost all were dead on arrival. The rest that came in in the spring or summer, I never had any dead on arrival or shortly after.

Last edited:
Yeah I was going to wait till about April-May to get the chicks.

I was reading about the one hatchery I found and they were talking about vaccines for the chicks?

Ive read that some places give you an option to have them vaccinated before they ship?

Then I saw where you can do it as well yourself this hatchery sells what you need..

Any thoughts on that?

i have done it many times (4 duckling shipments and 2 chick) and have had pretty good success and minimal losses, though there is a chance that you will loss a few, so maybe get some extra if you can. I am getting another shipment for 10 ducklings and 40 chicks, so well see how it goes. The chicks i'm using a different hatchery.

All the ones i have now are doing fine...its during shipping and a day or so after that you can have loss. i lived in rural alabama for a long time, and they did not have any of the breeds that i want within a 5 hour radius, so i had to ship any special breeds i wanted in :)

I'd get the vaccinated chicks just so you have one less thing to worry about. It's also my understanding that you can't buy marek's vaccine in small amounts? Someone correct me if that's not right.

Fandffarm and Cityfarmer12,

Thanks for the information.

I just wanna give my new babies the best chance at a healthly life that I can and since I'm super new at this all the info and advice I can get is really appreciated.

Wilebaum,

I think your right...

When I looked at the Mareks vaccines the one pack you could buy had 1000 doses in it... it was only $16 so thats not bad.. I would definitely have extra haha...
smile.png

Last edited:
Matt44644,

Im pretty sure thats the hatchery I was looking at its in Ohio?

Did you get your vaccinated before or did you do it your self?

And they are so cute!!!!!

Love the pictures!!!
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom