Chick raisin materials?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by handsomecock, Aug 9, 2013.

1. handsomecock

handsomecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    Hey can anybody recommend what materials I should purchase in order to sustain baby chicks? I seen some sites, such as www.mypetchicken.com that sells starter kits, but would it be better to just buy everything separately? Also I was just thinkin of usin a serious triple wall cardboard box to keep them in, what would be the proper size for 12 chicks?

2. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Cardboard is fine. Build it plenty big since the chicks will get BIG FAST (I would go with a 3 ft x 4 ft box min.)! All you need is some pine bedding in the bottom, a brooder lamp off to one side, bowls of water, and bowls of chick feed! Be sure to clean the water and feed bowls each morning and evening and give fresh water. They like to scratch and kick bedding around. Good Luck!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. handsomecock

Aug 9, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    Thanx. How high should I make the box? And I also read somewhere that the red light should be 250w, but suspended at what height? Can you recommend a safe brooder?

4. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Most recommend using a red light, but I used white light and had zero issues. Some believe that white light is just too much and can stress the chicks out, I didn't experience this in any way but that doesn't mean it can't be true. To each their own.

IMO it's easy to tell if chicks are too cold or too hot. If they are all gathered under the heat then they are too cold and you need to lower the lamp. If they are trying to get away from the heat, or won't go under the lamp then they are too hot and you need a lower watt bulb or raise the lamp.

For summer I think 250 is way too high of a wattage. Where are you going to brood them? If inside then using a normal house bulb might be just perfect. The first week the temp under the lamp should be 90degrees and go down by 5degrees every week. I never used a thermometer but some people do.

Please check out this post from BYC

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  5. handsomecock

Aug 9, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    Ok, I plan on using plastic containers indoors as a brooder. Already ordered a 250w red bulb, but will try a reg bulb while I setup the environment as I wait for my chicks to be delivered. I work for a company that actually stocks thermometers. This being my first time I think Im gona play it safe and monitor it. Thank you for the info. What wattage on the household bulb though? 60?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  6. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Yeah 60 is what I used in April when I had my chicks inside, much cooler then lol

7. handsomecock

Aug 9, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    lol. Yea im slightly concerned with the upcoming change in seasons, but I think everythin will work out. Thx.

8. Jessica Lynn

Jessica Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2013
    CC, Texas
    We used a 60 watt bulb when it was cool out. Since it's been so hot here I think a 40 watt would work better in the summer for newly hatched chicks.

9. handsomecock

Aug 9, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    Ok. Soft white, or maybe like a red flood light? How would I be able to differentiate them being too hot from being uncomfortable with the tone of the light?

10. Jessica Lynn

Jessica Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2013
    CC, Texas
    I just watch how the chicks act. If they are too cold they will huddle up next to the light. If they are too hot they go as far away from the box as they can. If they are happy they spread out evenly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by