Chick raising days are upon us! Show me those cute little fluff balls!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blondiebee181, Feb 22, 2013.

1. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Here is a pic of my sweeties from last Spring, I don't have room for more right now, but I want more so bad! Show me your little chicks!

[​IMG]
    I still have all 4 chicken hens, but I rehomed this duck which turned out to be a drake and exchanged them for these little cuties from Metzers!!

[​IMG]

Let's see those chickies!

2. Lorettachick

Lorettachick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2012
    Southern Middle TN
    Here are my sweeties that hatched December 1...my first ever chicks. :) They hatched naturally under my broody Australorp hen. She hatched 7 out of 11 eggs and there were 6 pullets. :) It has been the best experience for me and my 12 year old son to watch these babies grow. Now we are waiting on the first egg! :)

[​IMG]

3. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Cuuuute! Wow, 6 out of 7 pullets, that's good odds!

4. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Overrun With Chickens

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    That is good odds! We had two hens hatch out a total of ten chicks this past summer. Six of them were roosters [​IMG]Good thing I found homes for them pretty quickly. I kept one of them. He's the rooster in my avatar.

I don't have any pictures of my chicks yet, because they won't be here until May. I just wanted to see everyone else's cute little balls of fluff. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  5. sparkzippo

sparkzippo New Egg

Feb 23, 2013
    Washougal, WA
    Our first 10. These are while I await our permenent flock that will ship out from the hatchery in Apr.[​IMG]

6. Lorettachick

Lorettachick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2012
    Southern Middle TN
    He's a pretty rooster. Is he mean? I have 2 big beautiful RIRs that look almost just like him. They are good natured roosters....never attacked me or anything but they are being very hard on my hens. I have recently separated them from the hens because they keep injuring their backs. I really need to get rid of them I'm afraid.

7. MsChickenMomma

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    No he's not at all mean. He's the sweetest rooster I've ever owned. I have two RIR roosters. They don't get along with each other, but they both do very well with the hens. Are your roosters spurs long? That may be why they are hurting the hens. I've read that there are ways to clip roosters spurs when they get long. I might have to clip my 18 month old roosters spurs soon. They are getting pretty long, and are starting to get sharp ends.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  8. LVchicks

LVchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2013
    My friend has 'saddles' on her hens to proteCT their backs from gettingtorn up.

9. MsChickenMomma

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    I forgot to add something to my last post. The rooster in my avatar has been ruff with the hens a few times. I have to keep him seperate from the other chickens until I can make another coop and give him his own flock, because my older rooster doesn't want to share his girls. So he doesn't get the chance to mate with the hens very often. I think once he settles down with his own flock in September, he will be fine. I bought 10 chicks just for him :) They should be here the first week of May!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  10. Kasey

Kasey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    Waco, TX
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Here's my first ever flock of chicks! :) I'm addicted... I'm loving chicken raising so far!

We got 3 Barred Rocks, 3 Ameraucanas, and 2 Buff Orpingtons, all pullets, hopefully anyways. Not ready for a roo just yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by