chick raising in Northwest OP of Washington

CoastalChickens

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 19, 2013
Port Angeles, Wa
Hello fellow chicken enthusiasts. We are new to raising chickens and have 15 chicks that are now almost 6 weeks old. Barred Rocks, Black Astrolaups and Buff Orpingtons. We live in a somewhat mild climate but it may snow this week. My question is regarding their light for heat in the chicken coop....can I turn it off now or will they become too cold at night? I have provided roosts for them that are 6 inches off the ground but every morning I find them huddled under the heat lamp. They have lots of feathers and are outside all day or at least going in and out.
Also, up until now I have been sprinkling chick grit on their food every morning. What is the next step for their access to grit?
Any helpful opinions are appreciated.
Thanks!

Hello CoastalChickens! You should join my group on facebook for chicken keepers in the Pacific Northwest :) : https://www.facebook.com/groups/566488796755661/

Regarding your questions, your birds are still pretty young so I would keep their light on for now. If it were early fall and they had time to grow out more and feather out heavily I would turn it off, but a sudden drop in temp like we're going to get is going to be dangerous. I would wait until they are about 8-12 weeks before turning it off completely in the winter.

If they have access to the outdoors they will generally get grit for themselves from the ground. You can put a dish near their food bowl if you deem it necessary for where they are being kept.

Good luck! I have family in Port Orchard and I'm in Vancouver. Keep warm this week!

Thank you very much for the input. I will leave their light on...now that you mention it that is definately a large temperature drop. We will be cozy in our house tonight. Wishing you a snow day and some relaxation! Have a good day.

Back
Top Bottom