chick recovering from impacted crop... Help!

Bibi77

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 10, 2014
I have a chick that is about 5-6 weeks old. Last week my children found her laying on the floor of the coop stiff as a board but still breathing. By searching around on here I discovered that she had an impacted crop. I followed the suggestions that were given for eggs, oil, and electrolytes. I gave her pedialyte, raw egg, and olive oil. She eventually started throwing up and passed some urine and stool, and her legs regained their ability to move. It took a few days, but she eventually started to regain her ability to sit up, stand up, and walk around. But now it seems like she is getting worse. The other chicks that are the same age as her, and even the ones that are younger than her, are now looking like giants compared to her. She doesn't seem to be growing at all, and even though she can eat on her own, she doesn't seem to eat very much. She is kind of slow and sleeps a lot. For the past 3 days thought that she was doing better, so I had stopped giving her the pedialyte, and gave her just regular water. Should I go back to giving her the pedialyte, and if so for how long? Is there something else that I could be doing to help her recover better? How frequently should she be eating? Also she has diarrhea from time to time. I am not giving her the oil anymore, so this doesn't seem like a good sign to me, but is this normal for her condition? I had to clean off her vent today with a warm wet rag to get the hardened stool from off her bottom. If you guys have any suggestions for me I would be very grateful. Thanks so much for your time. :)

At 5-6 weeks I would think of coccidiosis, which can also cause a slow puffy crop. Symptoms are , sleepiness, diarrhea, standing puffed up, poor appetite, ruffled feathers. Corid in the water is the best treatment for 5 days, or you can also use sulfadimethoxine or Sulmet. I would treat all of the birds at the same time.

Thanks you. It is to late for her, but I am going to get some and treat the rest of my birds. They all seem to be very healthy, and she had been quarantined away from them for a week now, but I am going to treat them just to be sure. Is it dangerous to treat birds that may not be sick? What dosage of the Corid should I give them, and for how long? Please let me know, and thanks in advance :)

Back
Top Bottom