Chick roost in brooder?

ktornadoes

Songster
6 Years
May 19, 2015
Ohio River Rat
My chicks will be a week old tomorrow. When should I introduce a roost to them in their brooder? Does anyone have suggestions on how to build one? Thanks!

When mine were that age, I put a 1-2 in diameter piece of tree branch in the brooder to hop on, play on. As they got older, maybe 4 weeks old, I put a piece of 2 x 2 across my tub (my brooder was a spare bath tub). I had to use duck tape to secure it, but it worked :)

Now they are nearly 9 weeks old and slept on the real roost in the "big girl" coop last night for the first time, proud mamma! I had to block off the nest boxes as they wanted to sleep in one of those.

Thanks for the info! I added a small tree branch and set it on two pieces of 2x4 last night. Almost immediately one of my speckled sussex jumped up on the branch and flapped like a big girl...so cute!
D.gif

Thanks for the info! I added a small tree branch and set it on two pieces of 2x4 last night. Almost immediately one of my speckled sussex jumped up on the branch and flapped like a big girl...so cute!
D.gif
Hi,
Ok you can do this, however if you end up with crooked keels on your heavy breeds ( Sussex, etc.) that will be the reason. The keel ( breastbone) is still soft cartilage at this point. If the chick is perching and resting on it, and the keel is resting on the roost, it can grow in a crooked fashion. I don't know about bantam breeds, however in the heavy breeds like Sussex, it I best to wait until later to show them the roost. A good time is about 6 weeks old. Crooked keel will ruin a show bird. Plus is unsightly and unnecessary, tho sometimes it is genetic.
Best Regards,
Karen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom