chick round-up

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by panner123, Jul 21, 2007.

1. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    My grand kids had a chick round-up today, for I had a man from Reno that said he would give me $3.50 for each chick, if I had more than a thousand. Well, if any of you read my message on 5-29-07 "You tell me Preadtor or pest", you know that my youngest grand daughter turned all my chickens loose. That is about 275 hens and they all went broody. At 1300 chicks the gentleman yelled, "STOP I am out of money". Thanks to my grand daughter, I am going fishing again nest week. There are a few chicks left so I guess they will replace some of the older hens. As for the roos, I will see the recipe section for them.
    The kids used crickets to get the hens in the penned areas. From there it was all about the good old fishing net.
    Not a bad days pay, even if I did have to buy the crickets and give the kids a $100 each. I am still WAY ahead.
    The hens did all the work and the roos had all the fun.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

WOW, 4550! Good work. How old were the chicks? Bout a month old I guess? That's a crazy number of birds!

3. LuckysMom

LuckysMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    South Carolina
    [​IMG]
    Did anybody get pictures? That would be something to see.

4. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    I was wondering how many chicks you had to hatch out. I bet the kids had a good time catching them and getting $100! [​IMG]

Going to try it next year?

jackie

5. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Quote:NO!!!!!!!! This was a complete accident, my grand daughter turned all the chickens loose. I have many differnet breeds and try to keep them together. The way she did it, I have no idea which roo and hen mated. RIR with silkies, frizzles with leg horns, and God knows what combations.

Yes, easy $4000. 4 grand kids, $400-- $50 for crickets-- $75 for pizza and soda. I might add, my feed bill went down during this time. The chicks are between 3 and 4 weeks old. There was chick starter out there for them, but they found most of what they eat, as they were raised as a wild bird.

No photos, I'm sorry to say, even if I did get some I for some reason can't get them up on this site. I do have a bunch of good ones too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by