Chick rugby (with grasshoppers!)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by greginshasta, Aug 1, 2007.

1. greginshasta

greginshasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    Mount Shasta, CA
    I don't think I have had so much fun in a long time. We have 10 assorted chicks and they are a week old. THey are living in a plastic tub

Today Sunny pitched a grasshopper (we have a bunch of little 1" hoppers out on the lawn) and the chicks wwent nuts competing for that little taste treat.

We followed that up with 2 hoppers, which led to an immense amount of chirping and racing around the box trying to steal the treats. That lasted for a good 5 minutes.

Finally we decided to catch one for everyone, so in went 10 more hoppers and it was sheer pandemonium. Freaking hillarious.

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I just LOVE watching them learn.....and chase each other trying to steal the treat!

3. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    We Need Video!!![​IMG][​IMG]

4. Yonaton

Yonaton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    West TN
    Mine have learned to be real close when I come in the run with the hose to spray down the concrete slab...as soon as I lift the few concrete blocks up to move them, they run into the vacated spots to get the crickets that were staying cool under the blocks. Then the heat is on! 3 or 4 crickets between 24 chicks is hilarious. The smart ones have learned to just swallow real quick, lol.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Haha, the silly thing is, if the chick stopped running... nobody would case and they could enjoy it! Silly birds!

6. greginshasta

greginshasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    Mount Shasta, CA
    Actually, the moment they stop, the others gang up on them and in a split second have it stolen. We threw some in again last night and let them chase each other - the hopper gets stolen several times before actually getting eaten.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by