Chick season!?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KDOGG331, Feb 27, 2016.

1. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    So we went to get shavings at our local feed store (Morrisons but under Agway) the other day and noticed a sign about how it's time to order chicks and a list of breeds but we were in a hurry so couldn't read it so I just looked it up. Plus before that I saw on TSCs website Chick Days are starting soon. And now I just want more chicks!!!

Especially since apparently Morrisons is getting some breeds they've never had before!!!

Look at this!!!!

http://morrisonshomeandgarden.com/field-notes/order-spring-chicks-now

And TSC doesnt have a page but hit the featured breed Buff Orpington and found the secret list lol

http://www.tractorsupply.com/landin...222-_-FOURTH+MOBILE-_-Choose+the+Right+Mowers

They have ducks too.

I don't know, it's like, I don't want more chicks because we just got our first chickens in October and they are only 18 weeks old and JUST grew up/don't need me and haven't even begun laying and I'm gonna deal with more itty bitties that need constant care!? Plus the current coop and run is way too small and I am focused on building a new one. But at the same time, I DO want more chicks. I want ALL the chicks. And ducks. I want DUCKS.

And they're getting Speckled Sussex and Wyandottes which I wanted last time but were sold out! Have heard Wyandottes can be mean though but I could always add Barred Rocks or Buff Orpingtons instead. And you only have to get 3 at Morrisons unlike 6 as I've heard from TSC so I could get 4 more chicks and have an even 12. Oooooorrrrrr.... I could just go to TSC and get 6 ducklings! :p

Or I could order more.... or find hatching eggs....

anybody else have chick fever!?

And honestly I didn't before, when i first got them I wanted like 15 chickens, a million breeds, but now having them, so far I've been like "8 is good. 8 is manageable. They're hard enough to manage free ranging/keeping track of everyone with 8. I do not want or need more. Nope. Not happening. Maaaaaybeeeee next year or summer chicks. Not now." But now that I saw that Morrison's is carrying Speckled Sussex this year?????? Game. Over. Omfg.

My dad has limited it to 8 fron the beginning though and I haven't even told him about wanting more.

But I'm hopefully getting my license soon which could be dangerous as I might just come home with chicks one day...... And a gerbil or some guinea pigs or parakeets....

ANYBODY ELSE!?!?!

2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Oh gosh! Chick fever has hit you hard! I'm afraid this disease doesn't go away either. [​IMG] You'd think year after year it will get better. You think you'll say to yourself, "Chicks! Eh, no big deal." That never seems to happen; not to me anyway. I've been around poultry for most of my life and I still catch the fever. Our Rural King just got theirs in and every time I go in I have to remind myself that I have about 50 coming in March and my family would probably string me up if I showed up with more. I'd probably go absolutely nuts if our RK had the selection of breeds that Morrison's has!

P.S.--> I've got four Wyandottes in my flock (including a roo) and I haven't had any problems with over-aggression.

3. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Oh yes, I am afraid it has!!! :oops: seems as if it has hit you too? terrible terrible disease it is! And oh boy!! My mom's working tomorrow and my dad thought we could hang out and wants to go to Tractor Supply... I said sure but also tried to tell him they have chicks in or will soon. I don't think he heard that part. This could be dangerous... although fortunately if I'm with him there is no way I'll be allowed to get more chicks :lol: for you though? Ehh, you're already getting 50, what's a couple more!?!? :p but yeah I know right!? I just assumed they were getting the basics, Australorps, Rocks, Orpingtons, Reds, had no clue they had so much variety! Not sure how much of that is every year or if theres a ton of new breeds or what because I got interested late in the season then ended up ordering mine from a hatchery. But the Wyandotte, Dark Egg Layer, and rare breed assortments have me intrigued! And silkies! I may need more coops...

As for the Wyandottes, really? Well that's good to know then! Thanks! Maybe it was more when introducing new flock members? I've heard mixed things on them so hard to tell. But they are gorgeous birds!

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    so exciting! :) I can hardly for mine! my hatch /ship date is April 11th. my goodness it seems so far away from now. I can hardly stand the wait ! ;)

5. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Definitely! I think chick season is my favorite time of year and I want more!!! And awww I know that feeling!!! I ordered mine in September and they didn't hatch until October 26th!!! Long wait!!! You should go buy some from a store :p

6. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I think I have the addiction bad...

just went to Meyer's website and was browsing all the brown egg layers and planning when i could get them and what was available and everything... figured August was good, even added a couple birds to my cart just for kicks!!! 2 SLW, 2 BR and another BO. But don't worry, didn't place the order!! Couldn't even if I wanted to lol

But then shipping was like $40 so I wasn't about to pay $60 for 4 or 5 little chickies. Plus I WANT A SPECKLED SUSSEX

SOOOOO THEEEEENNNNN...

I went back to the Morrison's website to their chick list and was looking at all the dates and trying to figure out what I could get when. And they have Speckled Sussex coming in April 11th but then that's sooo soon.... and it's a 3 order min from the same ship date and there's only one other breed that week. But I think that's also for placing your order, guarantee they would probably still have other breeds from the previous weeks in store.

Or I could go to TSC.

Or just get 3 Speckled Sussex.

Or just get none since the limit is 8 and mine haven't even begun laying yet.

But by the time the Speckled Sussex come in I will probably have my license and may just drive to one of the feed stores and wind up coming home with 3 little Speckled Sussex babies.... and possibly some barred rocks, buff orpingtons, and/or rhode island reds.....

I don't even know if my coop will even be finished by then. And even if it is, this is exactly why I wanted to build a bigger coop.

OMG.

I've got it bad.... [​IMG][​IMG]

Edited cause i got the date wrong haha

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  7. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Great to know that having kept chickens for so long, nobody is immune to chicken maths! [​IMG]

8. KDOGG331

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts

Very true!!! I thought I was for a while though! When I first wanted chickens I wanted practically every breed and to start with like 15 birds all different breeds. Then I wound up with 9, now 8 since one died early on, all common breeds, and I've been thinking that 8 is good and realizing that evem my 8 are hard to manage free ranging. Didn't think I wanted more. Tried to move on to goats or ducks or rabbits (I get a lot of ideas.. :lau ). But now for some reason this week I have gotten chick fever all over and have a burning desire to have at least one Speckled Sussex, gold and silver laced Wyandottes (and eventually blue laced red), and practically every color Orpington out there. This may be a problem...

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  9. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    More chickens can never be a problem! It's strange that sometimes I get selective amnesia and forget to tell my wife that a hen is sitting on 15 eggs - seems to happen all the time [​IMG]

10. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Hey you know what they say: "Chickens are like potato chips; you can't have just one. (Or two. Or eight.)" I love my two Speckled Sussex girls. They're so curious and like to get into things though.[​IMG] Had a SS roo a while back, but he was pretty stand-offish. I've had Silver Laced and Golden Laced Wyandottes in the past too. The four Wyandottes I have now are BLR and they are by far my favorite variety.

That's genius right there! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by