Chick Seems More Lethargic Than She Should Be

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by marleeraye, Mar 30, 2017.

1. marleeraye

marleeraye Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017
    Peoria, Arizona
    Hello!

I have a chick that's a little over a week old and another I just got a couple days ago, so shes a little bit behind. The week old one is doing fantastic and is a little spunky one but the new one just seems like she's more sleepy and not as get-up-and-go like the other. When I first brought her home, she did more of the sleep-standing. She still will now, but seems to maybe be doing a LITTLE better. She's still a tad weaker than the other tho. I gave them some Gro-Gel and some home-made electrolyte water (filtered water, coconut water, salt, sugar, & baking soda), and tried some scrambled eggs too and she got a little bit of all that down last night. It seemed to help :) She drinks and eats on her own and likes to play in the yard, but seems she gets worn out easier and quicker than the other. Also, it sounds like her tummy is a little gurgley sometimes too. Could that be digestive? Is it a bad idea to put probiotics in their water since they just had Gro-Gel and electrolytes? Should I give it a couple days and just stick with their regular water?

Thank you!! :)

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I'd be inclined to just give water for a few days and see how things go. I've found that certain chicks can look a bit "dull", but after a couple of days they are fine. You are obviously observing the chicks closely, which is great.

3. marleeraye

marleeraye Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017
    Peoria, Arizona
    That's what I was told at the Stock Shop, just hold off on anything extra and just do water for a few days. Yes, I moniter them quite often, they're my babies [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by