Chick Seems Sleepy All The Time & Proper Heating Temp!?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by marleeraye, Mar 29, 2017.

1. marleeraye

marleeraye Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017
    Peoria, Arizona
    Helllo! I just brought home a Silver Lace Wyandotte chick today, I wanna say she's not any older than a week. I'm noticing she's doing ALOT of sleep standing and seems sleepy majority of the time. Is it common for her to be wanting to sleep and rest sooo much? She's extremely docile. I just recently lost a chick so this makes me a little nervous.

Also, can the chicks get too warm in the cage I have them in with a heat lamp? It's enclosed (with a top) with holes on the sides and a big door in the front.

Thank you!!

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    What is the temp in their brooder? It sounds like it is set up so that it could be way too warm in there.
    Chicks need a warm area and then the rest of the brooder cooler so they can move back and forth as they need to warm up.

A pic of the setup would help.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Right. It sounds like you have an "oven" that bakes chicks instead of a heat source for the chicks to warm up under. Too much heat is more dangerous than a too cool brooder. There is only supposed to be one spot, directly beneath your heat lamp, that shouldn't be any warmer than around 90F for the first week, and 80-85F the second week. It should be down to 75F during the third week, and 70F the fourth week, and no heat starting the fifth week.

The rest of the brooder space should be 20 to 30 degrees cooler than under the heat source so your chicks can shed excess body heat. They are unable to regulate their body heat until after they get most of their feathers, and that means being able to both absorb and shed heat by moving in and out of warm and cool zones, much as reptiles regulate their body heat by moving in and out of sun and shade.

Got it?

Now. Is this chick a replacement for one lost out of an existing brood or is it a solitary chick? If there are others, how many are in the brooder and how old are they?

As for the sick chick, and it does seem to be sick, I would try reviving it with some tepid sugar water, minced boiled egg, and drops of Poultry Nutri-drench, a potent vitamin complex that is designed to be absorbed directly into the blood stream, by-passing an under-developed digestive system. This should kick-start the chick's body organs and give it a shot at a normal life.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  4. marleeraye

marleeraye Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017
    Peoria, Arizona

5. marleeraye

marleeraye Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017
    Peoria, Arizona

6. marleeraye

marleeraye Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017
    Peoria, Arizona
    I have GroGel Plus B, can I give her that?

7. marleeraye

marleeraye Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017
    Peoria, Arizona
    I'm unsure of the temp at the moment, I have to check, but I uploaded a picture.

8. marleeraye

marleeraye Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017
    Peoria, Arizona
    [​IMG]

9. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Your brooder looks real fine. Plenty of room and the heat lamp is in the far corner which leaves the rest of the space for the chicks to use as a cool down.

Do I see just two chicks? Are there others in another brooder somewhere? Do you have an adult flock?

Yes, the Gro-gel would be good to give both chicks. But the Poultry Nutri-drench is a far more potent formula of vitamins and minerals and can boost a chick's development where Gro-gel is mostly electrolytes, as far as I know.

Since you have so few chicks, they are missing snuggling with a nest full of other chicks which gives them a sense of security. Try introducing a soft towel for them to cuddle against or a small cat pod. Even a feather duster, as long as the feathers are secure and won't shed, will help the chicks feel more secure.

The best thing I've found to brood small numbers of chicks and to make it seem as if they have a warm hen to scoot under is a heating pad rigged on a wire frame to form a cave. The heating pad is the height of the chicks backs and they get warmth by making direct contact. You would not need the heat lamp at all if you went with the heating pad. It provides warmth and security while offering a relief at night from the glare of the lamp. Your chicks would get more rest that way and develop quicker.

The thread on "Mama Heating Pad for the Brooder" is right here on this forum. It's cheap and easy and so good for chicks.

10. marleeraye

marleeraye Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017
    Peoria, Arizona
    Yes, I only have the 2 right now. I heard giving the chicks some sugar water with a dash of salt and/or scrambled eggs will get them going as well? And I hold them and cuddle them often, cause it seems to be what they want, also the one does love a hand warmer that I put under her towels on occasion

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by