Chick seems to be having a hard time breathing

Cntry2CityChick

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 29, 2014
One of my 2 wk old chicks seems to be gasping for air and has a very raspy chirp (if at all). I have seen her pecking at food. Any advise?

Um, do NOT put this chick in water! It is never a good idea to bath or wet sick chickens. it is stressful and they take a chill much too easily, especially young chicks. Soaking the backside of an egg bound adult hen is one thing, do not wet or soak a chick, or any other possibly ill bird.

Aside from that some more info is needed: Is this an only chick? How warm is the brooder and what bedding is it on? Is the bedding kept dry? If there are other chicks or birds present are any others showing any signs of illness?

Last edited:
I have 7 total.
2 Delaware's are about 4 wks
3 are about 2 wks (a Rhode Island Red, Welsummer & Buff Orpington)
2 are 4days (Americana & Barred Rick)

bedding is straw... I change
their water at least 2x daily (w/vitamins).. one if the Delaware's keeps putting her feet in it to try and dump it out. Food and water is separate from bedding area.

This chick has been chatty and likes to hang with the bigger girls.

Anything else I can do?

Last night I held her and gave her water with a mixture of Poultry Vitamins & Electolytes and Duramycin-10 through an eye dropper. Once she was sleeping comfortably I placed her in her brooder, in a separate compartment from her sisters. She seemed to be doing much better this morning... a little chirping (which she couldn't do at all last night). I gave her some yogurt, she felt strong enough to eat that on her own (I held her and the spoon while she ate). She still won't drink water on her own, but since she hasn't been panting badly it's harder to get the tip of the dropper in her mouth. I put some water with mixture next to her yogurt and she "accidently" drank some :). When she stopped eating I put her back in her brooder but noticed her starting to pant again.

I am concerned that she may take another turn, but since she seems better than last night (I honestly didn't think she'd make it through), I have hopes that she will overcome this and get back to running around with her sisters.

How long does it take for the antibiotics to really kick in?

Thank you all!

Well, after eye dropper feeding for 2 days, this a.m. Miss Bigglesworth drank water on her own and pecked at her food. Her chirp is still a little raspy, but it is so good to see her able to get up and move around a bit without panting. Fingers crossed that she continues to improve
yippiechickie.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom