Chick seems to be having issues

pinknblackchaos

Songster
Sep 25, 2016
Michigan
I have noticed over the last week or so that my 5-6 week old welsummer cockerel has had some brittle feathers I guess. All of his long wing feathers have broken off ends on them which seemed kind of strange but I was not too alarmed. Today I noticed that he is in the corner of the brooder breathing with a lot of accessory muscles if you know what I mean. Looks difficult. I've never seen a chick acting like this. I have him separated now. Any ideas? I have a video of his breathing but I don't know how to post it.

Here is a poop since isolation.

Attachments

• 20200411_144050.jpg
    20200411_144050.jpg
    550.9 KB · Views: 4
It could be coccidia. Medicated chick feed has preventions for it. There is a medicine called corrid that you can put in the water for it. I am not 100% sure that is what the problem is though. Has the poop been red at all. I would look at more symptoms online to see if it matches the description.

I have had chicks with coccidia and this doesnt seem like that. Usually those chicks just are vary lethargic and stand all puffed up. This is mainly respiratory which is something I have never experienced before. Thank you so much for taking the time to look at my post and responding. I am at a loss. I have him separated and am trying to keep an eye to make sure none of the other chicks are showing symptoms. Its making me nervous. I saw him drink so that is a good thing. 😩

Back
Top Bottom