Chick seems to have lost balance :-(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by emmadarby, Jul 25, 2011.

1. emmadarby

emmadarby New Egg

Jul 25, 2011
    On Thursday my broody hen hatched an egg and the chick was then attacked. I rescued the chick and have her in a brooder and she has been doing really well. She has been standing and climbing, drinking, eating and pooing. She was literally fine and bubbly this morning but this afternoon I saw that she was laid asleep on her back in the brooder unable to turn over. She now seems unable to stand up and very subdued. I have tried to give her some water and some food but she has not eaten and didn't drink as well as before (she only drank because I put a few drops on her beak!!) Any ideas? Could she just have got stuck and now be tired after a struggle? or does it seem like she is on her last legs? Very worrying as we have all got very attached. Advice appreciated. I have put her back on the floor of the brooder and she is splayed out asleep :-( VVV worried

Emma

2. audrey02026

audrey02026 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Dedham, Ma
    Sorry to hear about your chick. I had a similar situation except my chick was pawed by my dog who only wanted to play but ended up killing her. She seemed ok at first too then got very lathargic and lasted about 18 hours and poor baby passed away. I Hope your chick will pull thru.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by