Chick Selection tips?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by RavenStorm, Aug 20, 2008.

1. RavenStorm

RavenStorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    After reading, researching, asking you fine people tons of questions, and bugging my dad to death to build me a coop I am FINALLY getting my fuzzy butts tomorrow! I can only have 6 so I am going half-half RIRs and Barred Rocks. When I pick them out at the feed store, does anyone have any tips on what I should look for? What I should stay away from? I've never had to pick out animals before.

Of course, I will post pics of my new babies once I get them home!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Most places up here will pick your birds for you from the bins if they are large ones, but if you're lucky enough to pick your own, go for the quick and bright eyed birds who look "normal" and aren't huddling up or laying down when you get near.

However... when I'm allowed to pick the birds, some how I manage to pick about 80% roos from straight runs. [​IMG]

3. RavenStorm

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    Quote:Lol, I'm guessing you should never bet on a sure thing then as you apparently have the curse of Murphy's Law hanging over you . . .

I will look for the bight-eyed and active little buggers if I am allowed to pick them out myself. I didn't even think about that; not being able to pick them myself. I'll have to ask when I get there.

4. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    look for ones that aren't huddling to close to the lamp or ones that are at the edge of the cage. when they gave mine to me i checked that they looked healthy, they did. also look for small ones. the might have a defect, and finally look for missing feathers, they might be because of sickness. hope you get some cute little fuzzy butts and post lots of pics. i'm so exited for you!

love,

jenny

5. Suess hens

Suess hens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Altadena, CA
    if you are getting them from where I think you are (we have talked), he picks out birds from the brooder and you can check them over, take the ones you wants and he will reach in for more. He is really good and I have never bought a bad chick from him. His day olds are a day old too.
    Good luck. They are so exciting! I am heading down this week, I think, to return a roo and try for two more girls.

6. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    did you get them yet?!? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]!

7. RavenStorm

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    YIPPIE!!! Yes, I finally got them! Hi Erin! Thank you again for pointing me towards Wes's Pets, that place and Foz are great and so nice! There was a goat in one of the stalls, I *almost* broke down and bought it but thankfully I didn't drive my truck and there is no way I am putting a goat into my car. They only had one week olds (the shop keeper is going on vacation next week so they didn't want to have a bunch of babies that wouldn't sell) but I still think they are too cute! 4 RIRs, 2 BRs (oh and if you see weird black marks on them don't worry, nothing wrong, I'm just trying a system to keep their IDs straight).
    [​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

Hmm, I don't think my pics came out that well. Pardon me, this is the first time I have tried to post pics! I followed the instructions exactly, does anyone know what I might have done wrong to make them that small?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  8. Shogun99

Shogun99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Las Cruces, NM
    Eeenie Meenie Miney Moe works for me ha ha. JK. For me when I buy them at the feed store, I let my baby sister pick them out (I'm 29, she is 5) and she usually picks the most decrepit and nasty looking one she can find claiming that it needs the most love.

While her heart is big, I wouldn't do so myself. Look for one that is healthy and strong...not too henpecked but not overly aggressive.

Hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by