1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick seperation

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ktrexel, Mar 24, 2016.

1. ktrexel

ktrexel New Egg

Mar 22, 2016
    At what age should we separate the male and female chicks from eachother?

2. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    For what purpose would you want to separate chicks by sex?

I haven't heard of this practice unless it's to try to sex them and sell them. But you usually can't tell the sex until they're between six and ten weeks.

You may want to separate the cockerels from the pullets when they come into their hormones around five to six months, but only to keep the peace.

3. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Why? If it is to stop breeding it varies greatly depending on breed and individuals. Around 16 to 20 weeks.

4. ktrexel

ktrexel New Egg

Mar 22, 2016
    I've heard alot of times you want 1 rooster per so many hens or whatever. I was just wondering if there's a good age to separate them or just wait til 'hormone s' set in. Nre at this. Just a question

5. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    It varies so much. Mostly I would just wait until it becomes an issue, most do.
    Listen for crowing that is a good first sign. Then unless you see fighting or your hens start looking rough due to over breeding, it isn't an issue. Do you know now how many male/female?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by