Chick sex - can you tell by the tail?

RM44

Songster
10 Years
Jul 15, 2009
Woodstock, Georgia
I remember reading somewhere that, in general, baby chicks might be gender identified the tail length at a young age (2 weeks). But I don't remember which one had the long tail versus no/short tail. I almost think it was the pullets that had a longer tail first, and the roosters had short/no tail.

I hatched a bunch of back yard mutts, so breed type is mixed. I realize that it's possible that different breeds have different tails, but I have also hatched some full RIRs and noticed that some of them develop a long tail quickly, while some have short/stubby/no tails until later.

Thoughts?

Honestly if you flip a coin you'll get the same accuracy. It's too soon to tell. The most accurate method is vent sexing on the day of birth(do not attempt at home!), but even the trained pros have a margin of error.

Not a reliable method. While some males take longer to feather than females it is not always the case. My boy feathered faster than all of my girls.

X 2 - *generally* speaking the long tails at 2 weeks tend to be female as males tend to take longer to feather out, but it is just one of those early general clues vs. a hard and fast sexing "rule"

Back
Top Bottom