1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick Sexing - Bantams!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shalynnbrothers, Mar 9, 2016.

1. shalynnbrothers

shalynnbrothers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2016
    Ramona, CA
    We know that one of our 5 bantams is a roo, however, we've recently started wondering if there may be more than just one in our little bunch. What do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    There's a little brown bird in the second picture-a pullet. The rest are all roosters. Rather rotten luck.

3. shalynnbrothers

Jan 31, 2016
    Ramona, CA

No way!?!? Holyyyyyyyy smokes. That would make a lot of sense why they all fight so much, except Chewy (the brown frizzle pullet).

Is it okay to have multiple roos together?? I love them all, I couldn't bare the thought of having to get rid of any. Separating them wouldn't be an option either... we're building 2 coops already (1 for standards, 1 for bantams).

4. nchls school

Apr 22, 2015
    I keep my young roosters together and not too many problems, but I'm not sure how long that will last. A lot depends on breed and temperament. My most dominant rooster never starts a fight, but he sure ends a fight in a hurry.

5. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    If you're going to keep four boys, you may want to rehome that poor pullet!

6. shalynnbrothers

Jan 31, 2016
    Ramona, CA
    That sounds like our top Porcelain D-Uccle roo right now. The others always get in his face first but he's bigger than them so he ends it pretty quick. You're certain they're ALL roos but that one?

The others are a Blue D-Uccle, Seabright, and Millie Fluer. I don't know a whole lot about breeds, I'm a first time chicken mom lol.

7. shalynnbrothers

Jan 31, 2016
    Ramona, CA
    Really??? How come? Sorry, I'm a first time chicken mom. Still lots to learn!

I can't get rid of her :( I'd have to rehome a couple roos before I did that. Do they all look like roos to you too??

8. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    They wouldn't leave her alone and fight about her constantly. Poor thing probably wouldn't have any feathers on her back in a week's time with four randy teenage cockerels!

I'm still learning how to tell roos from pullets, but three Look like roos and one a pullet to me. Unsure about the fourth roo, but that's when you trust someone with more experience! My chicks are 7 weeks old now. I ordered all pullets, but you know an occasional roo can sneak in so I've been looking for signs. All of mine have less developed, less red combs than those three of yours...I do have different breeds than you though and they are standards.

9. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Because, if you leave one pullet with all those cockerels, when their hormones kick in, they'll all gang up on her. Pullets/hens have been mated to death by over amorous cockerels. I only see one girl, the little partridge Cochin. Every little chick sporting a red comb this young is a boy. Sorry.

10. nchls school

Apr 22, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by