Chick sexing...help!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicknmania, Jul 17, 2008.

1. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    We have gotten pretty good at figuring out sexes when the chicks are little, and I know it is difficult to figure out, but can anyone explain how you really tell? Not that we could stand to cull any, but it would be nice to know. And, here's MY tips that've worked PRETTY well so far for standard chicks 1 month old or so and up...if they have a fuzzy rear, it's gonna be a hen. If they grow an early comb, it's gonna be a roo. We've only had limited experience with this so far though, but we seem to be pretty close. Also, even if they don't have an early comb, if they don't have a fuzzy rear early on, it's probably a roo. Not very scientific, so, that's the reason for my original question. Now that I've said all that about fuzzy rears and combs, I'll probably have to eat my words...[​IMG] but the last three I used this method with, I was dead on....( oh no, oh no, Please, Please...Hens, Hens, Hens!!!!!!!) [​IMG]

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I think you are just getting lucky on the fuzzy rear guess. I could be wrong but I'm pretty positive there is nothing to do that theory.

The larger comb/wattles that turn red earlier can certainly be a clue to a chick being a cockerel. By the time most chicks turn 5 to 10 weeks old you can usually tell (not always) if its a boy by those characteristics.

Certain breeds are auto sexing, color sexed, certain breeds can be feather sexed, certain breeds can be vent sexed and some breeds you just can't hardly tell until they either crow or lay an egg.

3. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I still like my fuzzy butt theory. [​IMG]

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    From http://www.howtodothings.com/pets-and-animals/a3887-how-to-determine-the-sex-of-baby-chickens.html:

Cloacal, or vent sexing, was the first method perfected and is the oldest method used today to distinguish between day-old hens and roosters. Although this method is not easy to accomplish, with proper training and experience, the individual performing this method can generally get positive results. This method involves examining the baby chicken's vent, located under its tail, looking for a genital organ. If the genital organ is present in the vent, it will resemble a small pimple and the chicken is a rooster.

And another resource that's funny, interesting, informative. Oh, and it has pics.
    http://scienceblogs.com/twominds/2008/04/how_to_sex_a_chick.php

ETA: Ain't google amzing?​

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  5. chicknmania

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    errrr...no, thanks! They showed that on "Dirty Jobs" once. I guess I'll take my chances.

6. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    chicknmania said:
    I still like my fuzzy butt theory. lol

I like it too! If you can ever prove it to be accurate you'd make a million!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by