Chick Sexing Project: To Be Continued?

Would a picture reference of chicks and chickens of many breeds be useful (and worth it) to gather?

• YE-AH

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • That'd be about as useful as honkers on a hog!

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • ...huh?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You betcha and I'll help if I can!

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Well I think...(please comment)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The second option is the no. Or this one. Either works!

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheAlrightyGina

Crowing
Sep 3, 2020
Memphis, TN
Hey everrbody!

I'm sure those of you that frequent this forum ("What Breed Or Gender is This?") have noticed that stickied thread, Chick Sexing Project, started by @Direchicken, who seems to be inactive. I finally made my way through it and found that it has kinda...fallen apart. What was meant to be a reference material gathering thread has basically turned into what this forum is for--asking for help figuring out if your chick/en has boy bits or girl bits.

Which got me wondering some things about feasibility and usefulness. That in turn has led to me making this thread...is anyone interested in there being a picture reference resource for chick/en sex identification? If nothing else, I think such a thing could be broadened to also serve as a breed identification resource as well. I know that's pretty much the purpose of this part of the forums, however, such a thing could serve those who need to know right this very minute, those who don't get a response to their own post, and the DIY folk. Let me know what you think via voting in the poll or comment. Or both. You do you.

watch this slow motion GIF

DO IT. ❤️

I think that would be helpful, what would this look like?

Well, if I were to do something like that, I'd set it up like a wiki (like Wikipedia) so anyone could contribute (or we could be selective, whichever), and it would be completely searchable and interlinkable for easier navigation.

ETA: Not on Wikipedia, but that kind of format. It's called a wiki, and they can be set up to allow anyone, logged in or not, to contribute, or just certain people with the proper privileges.

I think the idea is good, but maybe a different execution is needed. Sounds over complicated, but I wonder if one article with links to a separate article by breed could be helpful... It just seems difficult to access specific breeds on that mega thread :)

Perhaps, but wikis are actually really easy to use, and I know that the originator of the project wanted it to be so that anyone could contribute. Having a wiki means that we'd have one place where everyone could contribute (without having to get in contact with someone). Even if we decided to restrict contributions, we could still set up several members as contributors so the likelihood of the project dying out because no one was running it would be far less (imo).

Back
Top Bottom