Chick sexing question, probably goofy....

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kian, Jan 16, 2013.

1. kian

kian Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancaster, CA
    I am looking at getting some day to week old Easter Eggers and Silver Wyandottes in February. Is there anyway to reliably sex them at this age? I am getting them from a local ranch.

Thank you!

2. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

At one week of age I am not aware of any reliable means to determine the sex of non-sex linked chicks by visual inspection. Perhaps professional vent sexers could, but not us mere mortals.

3. kian

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancaster, CA
    That's what I figured. I was hoping that the Wyandotte at least, might be like barred chickens where you can get a better guess due to the dot on their heads.

Thank yiu for your reply!

4. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    I'm not sure if you can figure it out that young, but don't females have one row of bumps on their combs and males have 3? I have a tough time sexing Wyandottes even when they're older. You could try to guess, looking at the coloring, on the Easter Eggers. Girls are usually really dull while males are brighter, reddish, lots of colors. Not sure how much of that would be showing at 1 week, though, lol!

5. kian

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancaster, CA
    I have no idea, but that is an interesting thought. Maybe if I can see anything, I'll see if there is a difference. I don't know anything about coloring at this age either. The only chicks I've bought before were 7 weeks and 9 weeks.

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Kian,

Stay away from any light chipmunk chicks. Almost always boys.

[​IMG]

7. kian

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancaster, CA
    Thank you Aoxa!! I will.

I'm a little hesitant only because I've already had to give away two cockerals from this same ranch (however I now know how to determine if it's a boy or girl with Cuckoo Marans! [​IMG] )

This chicken bug bites HARD doesn't it? And I haven't even gotten any eggs yet!

8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Yes it sure does!!

It's easy enough to sex EEs once they are feathered out a bit. Boys have very distinctive differences.

I had thought the above chick was a boy from the moment it hatched.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by