Chick Sexing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jpepmiller, Mar 8, 2017.

1. jpepmiller

jpepmiller Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2017
    Louisiana
    So I got this chick from a lady the other day who said she does all of the sexing herself. She is 100% sure I've got a pullet. I know, red flag. Last year I bought 4 chicks and they all turned out to be Roos. There is no 100% sure. Anyway, I feel like i got pulllets this time, but I've been doing some of the age old methods of telling what is what. This chick is 5 days old now. I tried doing this to my chicks from last year that ended up Roos and they would never sit still. This one fell asleep. Lol![​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Most old wife's tales are exactly that. You have about a 50% chance that the lady is 100% right.

1 person likes this.
  3. 13Bettys

13Bettys Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2017
    Pinson, TN
    [​IMG]
    I have 13 BSL chicks, supposed to be all pullets but what I've read is the Roos have a white spot on their heads. This is a small spot but I was wondering if you guys think she is a he.

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN

Well, I'm glad you know that it's a coin flip with someone like her. It's 90% if you get sexed pullets from a hatchery, almost 100% if you get sexlinks from a hatchery.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Does this chick have wing feathers? That's where you should look. White blotches there would mean a barring gene which equals male in a black sexlink.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by