1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick shipping question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Karen27, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Karen27

Karen27 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2015
    Hi all ,
    I have a question regarding shipping of baby chicks this time of year . I put an order in with greenfire farms I was thinking about putting a hold on it because I am in Colorado and the lows are in the high single/ low teens .They had said they ship all year no matter and I no they have a great reputation . Has anyone gotten chicks at these temps and what were your experiences ?They will hold the order but I did want them to be around the same age as the chicks I have right now ,but I dont want to risk the chicks either . Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Karen

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I doubt any reputable hatchery or breeder would ship chicks if they didn't have confidence they would arrive safely.
    Healthy baby chicks are among the hardiest newborn animals there are.

Keep in mind that they won't be spending all the time from Greenfire to CO in teen temps. Most of the time they'll be in climate controlled buildings and vehicles.

3. Karen27

Karen27 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2015
    Thank you that makes a lot of sense.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by