Chick sits too long on nest

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ednasgirl, Sep 14, 2011.

1. ednasgirl

ednasgirl Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    I'm a newbie so maybe you can enlighten me: I have 4 buffs;3RRRs and 3ply rocks;the most eggs in one day is 8 and none are roosters(we hope) they are just 5 mos old.
    We have four nests; but they only use two; One is the main one; they will wait in line for that nest. The prob is that one RRR will sit in it for a couple of hours. I've seen others climb in beside her. Lay and leave. She will finally lay and get off the nest. She couldn't be trying to set. No crowing has been heard. Any clues?

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    It is possible that she IS getting ready to lay. I would leave things as they are & not disturb her. If the other girls are willing to share the nest with her, what's the harm? Some of mine do that as well.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    You know, I noticed that one of my hens takes a long time to lay an egg. And I think it might take longer when there are other hens waiting in line......Kind of like when you have to go potty, and you know someone is waiting at the door.......[​IMG] It seems to take forever when you know someone is waiting......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by