Chick sitting on head?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jennhalcyon, Apr 30, 2017.

1. jennhalcyon

jennhalcyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2017
    Hi all! New to chickens and learning lots here. Out of 16 chicks (variety of breeds), we have one that just can't wait to jump on my hand anytime I'm near them. And from my hand, she goes up my arm to my shoulder and then straight to the top of my head. Is this normal? Does it mean anything? I understand dog behavior but I don't speak chicken yet ;-)

Disregard the crazy faces![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BIggoMamma

BIggoMamma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2017
    That is so cute. I had a few chicks that always would seek the highest tallest point they could get to and just sit there. They always turned out to be roosters. Not saying yours is a rooster, maybe it just likes your head. How funny

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Normal......they will seek the highest place...
    ....and you might want to discourage the jumping on your body un-invited,
    especially near the eyes, eyes are shiny and beaks are sharp and fast.

Agrees the most 'friendly', 'adventurous', and 'brave' chicks are frequently males.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    A bird sitting atop your head shows alpha status - you don't want that.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I would definitely discourage that. Nor would I allow a bird on my shoulder b/c it is too close to the face.

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    This is merely the instinctual need chicks have to seek the highest point they can find. As they learn the art of perching, you will be amazed at the spots they end up. Sometimes you have a hard time finding them if they're in a coop because they seek out braces between studs and other esoteric places too small for you to even consider.

I've had grown hens fly onto my head to evade the unwanted attentions of a rooster. This behavior isn't always a dominance thing.

7. weirdlywired

weirdlywired Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2016
    Bellevue NE
    My Coop
    It IS cute, but as other's have said, I would discourage this behavior for your safety.
    I have a couple of girls that have tried to fly onto my shoulder, and this was the result of the first time it happened:
    [​IMG]
    This happened REALLY quickly and she immediately pecked at my eye. I turned my head just in time but it could have been a very different outcome rather than just a couple of scratches.
    Enjoy your chickens, but please be safe!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by