Chick Size

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by coltsmom, Mar 29, 2011.

1. coltsmom

coltsmom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    Went to the feed store today and noticed the feed store chicks from the same flock I bought mine from are much bigger and have feathered out alot more than my 6. Mine are looking healthy , eating chirping, drinking ect just Fine.
    I have had mine in the house in a brooder and on non-medicated food. I Moved them only yesterday to garage with the same heat lamp I was using inside. Should i be worried? I am thinking the chick starter mix i have mine on is hormone free and they have too warm and without natural light that is is why mine are 1/2 the size of those still not sold at feed store. Any comments? [​IMG]

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I have heard that keeping it warm can slow chick growth. It might be worth asking what they are feeding the chicks at the store. Some people use game starter, and that will affect growth.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

No hormones are allowed in chicken feed in the US.

Relax. You assume the chicks were the same as yours, but there's always a possibility that it is an entirely different batch. If the chicks are healthy and eating/drinking, they'll be fine. Not all chicks feather out at precisely the same rate.

4. coltsmom

Mar 18, 2011
    Thanks for your feedback. i am going to back today to speak with the girl who knows chickens well. She is a clerk but an avisd 4 Her. I appreciate the comments. Have a great day.

5. chickencrazyinHT

chickencrazyinHT Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2010
    As long as yours look healthy I think they will be fine. I wonder if it could be a different batch of chicks?

6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I've heard that higher protein percentage in the feed will make a big difference. Maybe that's it?

7. coltsmom

Mar 18, 2011
    [​IMG]
    They were a different batch from another store. All is well. Just located a farmer just around the bend with all kinds of chicks,geese, who offered her help with questions.Feeling very silly. Thanks again for the feedback.

8. KZ

KZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Fountain, Colorado
    Well, that's not fair. What were the answers you got that made you feel silly? Why are your chicks smaller? Enquiring minds want to know....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by