Chick Sleeping Question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickaroo!, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    When chicks are sleeping and they lay close together, does that mean they are cold? I'm a total newbie to raising chicks.

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    They will lay down close together when they all start to settle down. What you don't want is them trying to lay on Top of each other.

My 6.5 week olds all gather on the darker side of the outside brooder for their nap(s).

When awake they are spread out moving from feed to water to windows and back again.

Matt

3. fowl32

fowl32 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    when they are cold they huddle together on top of each other, so increase the temp.
    when they are too hot they spread out and kind of just lay down, so decrease the temp.

4. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    Thank you both for the replies! My chicks are mostly laying close to each other, but sometimes just lay their head on the back of another. Does that mean they are cold or just good pillows? [​IMG]

I just got them from TSC on 4/18 and I really don't know how old they are exactly. I had the heat lamp on them and the temp in the brooder read beteween 90-95 degrees but they were panting so I moved the light so it's not directly on them. The temp now is 84 and they seem okay. Does that sound okay to you?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by