1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick Smell?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by andrew3waz, Aug 22, 2013.

1. andrew3waz

andrew3waz Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2013
    Hey,
    I am getting 25 chicks and I think I am going to have them in my house for the first 2 weeks and I am wondering how bad do they smell?

Thanks,
    andrew3waz

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    It can get bad if you don't change the water ever day and if you don't change the bedding ever few days.

1 person likes this.
  3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

25 chicks = a LOT of poop every day and the need for a pretty large brooder. Chicken poop stinks, no getting around it. With that many chicks there is going to be some smell no matter what you do. I raised one batch of chicks in the house many years ago, it was only 8 of them and I've never done it again!

4. andrew3waz

Jul 21, 2013
    Thanks,
    Is there any thing to do to minimize the smell? I would really like to have them somewhere I will be able to keep a close eye on them if I kept them in my basement would that help?

Thanks,
    andrew3waz

5. elliechooks

elliechooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2013
    UK
    I have my brooder in the kitchen. I put paper towel in for the first 2 days and then sawdust, but I change the bedding 3 times a day at least..... And they still stink! Mine are nearly 2 weeks old and I can't wait to get them outside!

6. andrew3waz

Jul 21, 2013
    So its not a good idea to keep them inside?[​IMG]

7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

The only way I'd raise chicks inside would be if there was absolutely no place else to put them. And especially not 25 of the little poop machines! [​IMG]

Where are you going to keep them when it's time to move them outside? 25 chicks will outgrow all but the biggest of brooders in a very short amount of time. If you have a coop ready for them can you put the brooder in there? On a back porch? I brood mine in my garage but I do it in the spring and late fall when over heating in the garage is not an issue.

8. andrew3waz

Jul 21, 2013
    I ended up putting them in our insulated shop/garage. The temp is staying pretty stable and they are doing good from what I can see. The brooder that we made is 3' x 8' and we have it divided to keep them close to there food, we will slowly move the divider as they grow.

Thanks,
    andrew3waz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by