Chick sneezing and breathing hard

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by babsi, Aug 30, 2016.

1. babsi

babsi Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2016
    Beautiful NW
    I have five chicks (11 days old) and one started sneezing today. A chirp with a head shake, I picked her up and she also looks like she has trouble breathing. Other than that she is acting ok. Any suggestions?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Where did the chick come from--hatched by you, picked up at a feed store or local breeder, or shipped in the mail? How is your brooder ventilation, and is there any wet or moldy areas in the bedding? Brooder pneumonia from mold (aspergillosis) can be common from water spills in bedding, but also respiratory diseases can be passed on from older chickens who may be carriers. I would get some antibiotic such oxytetracycline or Tylan powder to treat the water in case of a respiratory infection. Tylan 50 injectable may also be used just for the sick chick, given by mouth, 1/8 ml-1/4 ml given twice a day for 3-5 days.

3. babsi

babsi Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2016
    Beautiful NW
    Got them from a local breeder, the watered spilled all over last week, but I replaced the cardboard boxes. Where can I get the medication?

4. babsi

babsi Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2016
    Beautiful NW
    I just called a feed store and they have terracycline. I guess I'll get it and treat all. It's the best solution I have

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Most feed stores stock oxytetracycline, tetracycline, Tylan and others. The wet bedding could have been a problem, but many breeder farms can also have diseases from carriers who may not show symptoms. If you lose a chick, you can get a necropsy by the state vet or local extension agent to find out what they could have. MG is a possibility, and aspergillosis from mold in wet bedding could be another.

6. babsi

babsi Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2016
    Beautiful NW
    I went to where I got them and they gave me corid to add to the water. I don't think it's helping and I'm not too pleased with how they responded to my questions. She looks worse. Feed stores are closed now. I hate seeing her like this and just hope she makes it overnight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by