1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick sneezing, help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sherlock Watson, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Sherlock Watson

Sherlock Watson Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2016
    Salish Sea Region
    I have a flock of 1 1/2 week old chicks. One of them started sneezing a few days ago. It seems to have spread a bit, but not much. She's still eating and drinking and peeping and running and stuff, but sneezing. And, today, when I was holding her, she sneezed and a bit of mucus came out her nostril. I've been keeping them on chopped straw. I thought it might've been the straw, so I changed it this afternoon. To soon to see a change. Help! These chicks are my world; I love them!!! [​IMG]

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Ok - not time to panic yet! Try some Apple Cider Vinegar in the drinking water ( 1 tsp/gallon). You could also add some electrolytes to the water, there are several good brands out there - I use rooster booster. Garlic is also said to be good - 1 clove crushed into a gallon of water.
    Don't do all of these at once! Personally I would use ACV the first day, electrolytes the 2nd and alternate for 1 week. Use garlic once/week.
    Can't help with antibiotics or such, I don't use them. Make sure they are warm, dry and not in a draft.
    See how they go, if they get worse, head to the veterinary. Keep us posted! [​IMG]

3. Sherlock Watson

Feb 16, 2016
    Salish Sea Region
    Thanks! I've tried the vinegar, and I saw this and bought electrolytes (Pedialyte) [​IMG]

4. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Excellent - another thought, is it dusty where you have them? They are very sensitive to dust etc.

5. Sherlock Watson

Feb 16, 2016
    Salish Sea Region
    It's not very dusty, no. I use shredded paper, and give them fresh water every few hours. Any other tips?

6. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    How are things doing? Improvement/worse? Sometimes they are like kids - little germ magnets, but they seem to shake it off. If they are eating/drinking well, putting on weight and acting fine, just keep a mommas' eye on them. Um - one thing, some people like to pick up and kiss their chicks on the beak etc. - if you do please stop - they can pick up germs from us too! Keep us posted - I have my fingers crossed for you! [​IMG]

7. Sherlock Watson

Feb 16, 2016
    Salish Sea Region
    Well. Now they are all sneezing, and when they do, a bit of mucus comes out. Otherwise they're still acting normal. (Terrified of me, peeping, eating, drinking.)

8. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    All right! Did a quick search for you....try hard boiling a few eggs and feeding them to your birds mashed up in addition to the crumbles, also in addition to the Pedialyte give them some probiotic. I believe you can get small packs at your feed store. Try that for a couple of days.....

9. Molpet

Molpet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2015
    N. Illinois
    sohow are they doing?

1 person likes this.
  10. Sherlock Watson

Feb 16, 2016
    Salish Sea Region
    they are great :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by