Chick sneezing?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by australorp_breeder, Nov 11, 2009.

1. australorp_breeder

australorp_breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    I bought two Ameracauna chicks three days ago at a feed store. I have them in a box with a heating lamp, along with Chick Starter, and Vitamins and Electrolytes in their water. I've been raising chickens for years, and have raised many flocks of chicks. However, I noticed something with one of these chicks I've never seen before. One of them has been sneezing every once in a while. Anyone know what could be going on and what I can do to help her? I'm guessing a cold of some sort.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Not necessarily. If the chick appears healthy, no nasal drainage or rattling when she breathes, is eating and pooping normal and the sneeze is just an occasional thing, then it may be just that. A sneeze.
    I had one that for some reason was extra sensitive to the shavings dust and would occasionally sneeze.
    Chickens don't get "colds" in the human sense of the word.

3. australorp_breeder

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    There's no drainage, but sometimes when the chick breathes it sounds as thought we would sound if we had a stuffy nose. The chick is eating and drinking, and acting fine aside from the sneezing a occassional weird breathing.

4. chicksrcool

chicksrcool Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    SoCal
    I just bought 3 Ameraucana's (how is this spelled exactly? [​IMG]) today from our feed store...only went to get feed for my older chicks and came home with new babies...how does that happen?! Anyway got off topic for a moment. Well mine have been sneezing a bit too, but one reason might be was that the water feeder leaked and they all got soaked! And the runt of the bunch I noticed some dried poo poo around the vent area. I've heard that could be extremely dangerous to their health; so I had to give that one a quick bath to get the area cleaned. But my older ones sneeze occasionally also and I know chickens do not get cold viruses like we do, so I think it happens if they get water in their beak or the dust from the bedding.
    Let's keep each other posted on how each is doing [​IMG]

5. australorp_breeder

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    Looking at the picture that you have of you? and the chick, mine are about the same age. I took out the shavings, and noticed the chick isn't sneezing as much, but still does. I'm going to try putting grass in there for bedding instead. Clogged vents can lead to death, so before I bought my chicks I checked their vents to make sure they were clean. I use a small poultry waterer for my chicks, so they can't fall in and get wet. They'll walk in it and get their feet wet, but nothing more. lol, that was cute you gave yours a little bath! I heard vaseline, or luke warm water helps get crusty poop off of them.

...My rabbit just bit into a 8 pound bag of Chick Starter, and I had to clean it up... Good thing she only made a little hole, but still. I had to transfer the food into two smaller bags.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:That may not be a great option. They will eat grass and could get impacted crops. I would definitely be offering chick grit if mine were eating grass.

7. australorp_breeder

Sep 29, 2009
    California
    Thanks for the warning, but I've had the grass in there for about five hours and they've just been laying in it. The only thing they've been eating is the Chick Starter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by