Chick Sneezing?

sunshineyarns

Songster
8 Years
Mar 23, 2011
Hi! I'm fairly new to the group and am loving all the words of wisdom for first time chick parents like myself! We have 9 chicks, most of them between 3-4 weeks old.

Our little Maran who is 3 weeks old has been the only one we have been worrying about from the start. She had really bad pasty butt when we got her and I think she barely made it. But, I got her eating/drinking again and she has been acting pretty fine since. I have noticed though, that all along she has this sort of sneeze that she does... like she is blowing air fast out or sneezing? Sometimes she does it more than others, but I have no idea what this is! She appears to be normal in every other way at this point. She is eating good/drinking/gaining weight/interacting/taking treats... She is a more "needy" chick, in that she chirps for me alot and just needs that extra tender loving care. We took her outside for the first time the other day, and she was the only one who didn't seem like she enjoyed it. She just stood there while the others all ran around for bugs and did their chicken thing.

Any thoughts?! I have a friend who has had chicks forever take a look at her, and she thinks she looks totally fine... but what is this sneezy noise?!

Thank you!

Do you have them on pine shavings? I have some who still sneeze from time to time, especially when I put fresh shavings in the tractor. I wouldnt worry about it as long as there are no other symptoms. I have one chick out of 6 who is sneezing off and on due to just being put on shavings. Dont worry about the outside thing either. Chickens, like people, have different personalities and will respond to a new environment in different ways. Once that chick figures out there are yummy things out there, she will also be doing chicken things!

Back
Top Bottom