1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick sold as 'Plymouth Rock'

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rachelisneat, Mar 4, 2015.

1. rachelisneat

rachelisneat Just Hatched

Feb 23, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's my story:
    We just got our first flock (yay!) and purchased our chicks at the farm store. Was planning on Rhode Island Reds, so when they were out, we got the last two Plymouth Rocks. Now, I just found out an hour ago while looking around the site that most Plymouth Rocks are barred rocks. I had heard that barred rocks do best with other barred rocks, and one of the chicks definitely has barred feathers. This is the other chick; she has always been twice as big as her "sisters". Is she a Plymouth Barred Rock? 7 days home, I'm guessing still 10 days old...

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

She is not a Plymouth Rock, she's not barred, thus not a Barred Plymouth Rock.

Plymouth Rocks have several varieties. The variety name come before the breed name when speaking. Thus, Barred Plymouth Rocks, White Plymouth Rocks, and more, such as Columbian, Silver Penciled, Buff, etc.

3. rachelisneat

Feb 23, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yes, here is the other one ; she is barred; I was wondering that their coloring could be so different! Or thought maybe she would change color later on...

So not a Plymouth Rock, any guess what breed? She is white breasted. Mostly black. I can't imagine she'd be anything exotic from our farming store; maybe a hybrid? She's friendly!

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Chicks get mixed up at feed stores all the time. Shrug.

Could be any number of black birds with grey or white skin, as the legs show. Australorp would be suspect, I should think.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She looks like an Australorp to me (or possibly a Black Orpington, but they are less commonly sold).

6. rachelisneat

Feb 23, 2015
    Australorp would be cool; the pics I saw of Australorp chicks did not look to have the white breast? Does that go away?

Any advice about keeping/rehoming the barred rock? We got 8 for a 6 bird flock as rooster/disease/accident insurance, so we have decisions to make in a couple months...
    I wouldn't want her to be picked on, or be a loner. We can just wait and see! Having a blast so far!

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

8. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    Yes. The white breast is just there when they're babies. It will be gone in about 4 weeks ... I think ... I haven't had a penquin chick in a while. A lot of the black breeds hatch with the white belly and the white under the eyes and proceed to become all black. It's genetic.

9. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    This one does look like my Barred Rocks at that age. And with the leg markings, I would think pullet.

10. rachelisneat

Feb 23, 2015
    Thanks all!
    Still rooting for all pullets! I keep telling the chicks they are sisters now, so that should help! ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by