Chick starter and fussy chicks

Cara83

Songster
Sep 9, 2021
My week old chicks are on medicated chick starter. I was given some not sure how old it was but the chicks don't like it as much as the stuff I bought and they waste so much there is more than a few cups on the floor the brooder and they do have a proper chick feeder they seem to scratch of the bigger pieces. If that makes sense any ideas what to do? I will go buy some more of the finer stuff I had before tomorrow and can I feed them other items? I do have a 4 week old bantam in there with them also she is the same size.

If you don't know how old the feed you were given is, I would not use it.

Sounds like they prefer the feed you bought? Is that medicated too or no? Medicated feed is not intended to be mixed with anything else, as you're diluting down the amprolium (I assume it's amprolium) which is the "medicated" part, rendering it less effective.

If you don't know how old the feed you were given is, I would not use it.

Sounds like they prefer the feed you bought? Is that medicated too or no? Medicated feed is not intended to be mixed with anything else, as you're diluting down the amprolium (I assume it's amprolium) which is the "medicated" part, rendering it less effective.
It was in a tied up feed bag but I will toss it to be on the safe side.
Yes the other stuff is finer and medicated still. I don't mix it with anything I do give them a handful of oats from time to time. I don't know what amprolium is sorry.

No in Australia
Might want to check what the medication used in the feed is, and what it treats. It may be different than what's used in the US but I wager it's most likely is there to treat for coccidiosis. In any case the dosage of coccidiostat is pretty low in feed, meant to serve as a preventative, so the feed should not be diluted by mixing with other feeds or too many treats while it's in use.

In any case if the chicks are happy with the feed you bought them, I would just feed that and discard the free unknown feed you got.

Might want to check what the medication used in the feed is, and what it treats. It may be different than what's used in the US but I wager it's most likely is there to treat for coccidiosis. In any case the dosage of coccidiostat is pretty low in feed, meant to serve as a preventative, so the feed should not be diluted by mixing with other feeds or too many treats while it's in use.

In any case if the chicks are happy with the feed you bought them, I would just feed that and discard the free unknown feed you got.
I have discarded it and got a new bag. Turns out they had lice also so that's been fun to deal with this morning 😫

Back
Top Bottom