Chick starter crumbles, minimizing waste?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Volvo Farmer, May 14, 2011.

1. Volvo Farmer

Volvo Farmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    I've only had these little peepers since Wednesday. Maybe this is not the best type of feeder that I am using? I have it set up on a piece of 2x6 to try and get it up around the height of their backs. They still fling an amazing amount of crumbles out on the ground. Should I let the feeder run out and make them eat crumbles off the pen floor? It's not like there's only powder left, there's plenty of big chunks left.

Any ideas on how to get more food into the chicks and less on the floor?

[​IMG]

2. Wise Woman

Wise Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    The Enchanted Forest
    Hello. I have the same type of feeders. I take the top container off and just fill up the bottom and put it in there. They still waste a lot, but it doesn't constantly refill itself without the container on, so they do eat it down more. I let it get fairly empty before I refill it. It seems they make the biggest mess with it when it is very full. I just figure there is going to be some waste and don't worry about it too much. I don't like them to eat it off the floor because they are pooing down there too! I keep my feeder up on a brick. They will peck around at the feed they spill on the brick and eat some of that. HTH.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Find a large, 14" or 18" cookie sheet or pizza pan. That way, the crumbles they dump out get a second chance at being picked at and eaten.

They will outgrow that feeder in about two weeks, so you'll probably want to be thinking about step two anyhow.

4. Volvo Farmer

Volvo Farmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    Fred's Hens :

Find a large, 14" or 18" cookie sheet or pizza pan. That way, the crumbles they dump out get a second chance at being picked at and eaten.

They will outgrow that feeder in about two weeks, so you'll probably want to be thinking about step two anyhow.

What is step 2? a tray type feeder? or one of those hanging things?​

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I prefer a wall mounted feed box, that I build, actually. Or, I also like the traditional, long poultry feeder with the tumbler bar on top. Both minimize waste.
    The plastic hanging feeders that I have used have very shallow feeding portals and the waste is fairly substantial. As always, YMMV.

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    when thery are little like in the pic, I take the jar off, leave the top open and put it in a slightly larger low plastic bowl, low enough for them to see over and climb up on. They walk all over it and peck, but the bowl helps keep from getting shavings in the feed, and it catches some of the stuff they toss out, and they get a second chance at the crumbs. Also, I grind up the feed in a blender to cornmeal consistency for the first couple weeks and that cuts "flinging" way down. They just eat it. Almost zero waste. Pain in the butt, but the savings is worth it, and the brooder stays smelling clean longer, because food isn't mixed in and getting fouled, which REEKS by the way, lol.

7. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    I'm not sure about the best kind yet but the feeder in the original post is the worst I've found so far for wasting food.

8. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    The five BO chicks I bought Friday (the 13th!) amaze me with the with their ability to fling starter food great distances.
    I am using a feeder much like the one pictured in the first post, and most of my first filling is on the floor. I shall use
    some (or all) of the ideas posted here. Good work people!

9. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Grinding the food in a food processor cuts 90% of the flinging, in my opinion. They don't have to sort for smaller bits. they are all smaller. If they fling, big chunks don't go flying, just tiny crumbs.

10. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    Put it in a large pasta bowl with a wide rim, the new babies can get in with out any problem and the bowl catches anything they spill and then they eat out of the bowl too! I have had NONE wasted since I did this, a tip from the great BYCers!!!!!!!!!!! Here is a pic of it in my brooder....It's in the right side of the pic! Good luck!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by