Chick Starter Feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by angelnina, May 13, 2008.

1. angelnina

angelnina Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Seattle area
    I just bought chicks 3 weeks ago. According to the date I was given, the chicks were born on April 15th. After looking at photos on this forum, I am suspecting they are older (they are covered in feathers--had to enlarge brooder, and one has red crest and cheeks. I bought a 10 lb bag of chick starter for 4 chicks, and the young men who work at the feed store told me it will last 6 weeks. Well, we're halfway through our second bag of chick feed, and we've only had them for three weeks. Were they mistaken, or am I overfeeding my chicks?

If they are older..I'm suspecting my chicks may be 6-8 weeks rather 4 weeks, do I need to change their food?

2. papadekaitlyn

papadekaitlyn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Alabama
    They were mistaken...

Unless they like to grow REALLY skinny chickens...

[​IMG]

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    You should offer feed free choice to your chicks. The guy at the feed store was mistaken ... most chicks are little piggies.

Definitely sounds like your's are much older than you thought. If you can post some pictures people here will take a guess for you on how old they are ... plus, we really like to look at pictures!

4. angelnina

May 13, 2008
    Seattle area
    [​IMG]

The first photo is a Gold Laced Wyandotte. I'm hoping it's a hen, this is the only one showing red [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Above: Rhode Island (4 weeks old?)

[​IMG]

three more

If they look more than 4 weeks old, please let me know.

5. angelnina

May 13, 2008
    Seattle area
    Thank you
    What is free choice feeding?

6. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:It means to have feed and water available to them around the clock. Let them eat as much as they want. They will not over eat. Just have plenty available all the time.

Hope this helps!

7. angelnina

May 13, 2008
    Seattle area
    Yes, thank you. We have keep the feeder and water filled. They go to town on the feed [​IMG]

I posted the photos to see if others believe they may be more than 4 weeks old. Maybe they eat more because their older?

8. Mine look the same. I was told they were a week old when we got them April 18th.

9. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    They look 4 weeks old to me. The feed store just underestimated how much feed the bottomless pits eat!

10. angelnina

May 13, 2008
    Seattle area
    Thank you all so much for your answers. I feel relieved to know all is well in my little brooder [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by