Chick starter food

busymadre

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 22, 2013
Hickory, NC
Buying my first bag of chick feed.
When I called for pricing at "Southern States Farm" store here in NC, they said they have medicated or non-medicated feed. Don't see the 2 different items at tractor supply site. The Southern States Farm store is cheaper but don't know what kind to get. They will already have had shots so what do i get?

When I called for pricing at "Southern States Farm" store here in NC, they said they have medicated or non-medicated feed. Don't see the 2 different items at tractor supply site. The Southern States Farm store is cheaper but don't know what kind to get. They will already have had shots so what do i get?
Which "shots" are you referring to? Was it for Marek's disease, Newcastle disease, Infectious bronchitis, Fowl pox, or Fowl cholera?

Chris

Last edited:

I had always used non-medicated, figuring I didn't want to give my birds any medication they didn't need, until I lost a 5 week old chick to coccidia, without seeing any of the typical symptoms, it took a necropsy to find out what it was. Since then I use medicated until they are old enough to be on layer. Not sure what vaccines your birds have been given, but if they have been vaccinated for coccidia I would think giving them medicated feed would be redundant.

Just as an aside, I do hate giving them medicated chick starter for that long, but am hesitant not to after losing a bird. Recently I decided to try fermented feed in the hopes that it will serve the same purpose in preventing cocci in a much healthier and feed efficient manner. Haven't given it to them yet, first batch is still "cooking".

Unless you are in a high risk area, like the south, you are probably fine going with non-medicated, since they will probably be inside in a brooder for a while. If you feel your birds are at risk for coccidia once they go outside, you may want to consider medicated at that time.

Last edited:
Moist climates are ideal for Coccidia. Much depends on where your brooder is. If your chicks are on 1/2" wire and the droppings pass through it into a droppings pan, it will be a less risky environment. Since chicks generally go outside at 5 weeks old, It would be best to get them primed for facing the outdoors a couple weeks before. I'm going to feed an organic starter I'm fond of, and use Corid 9.6% in the water at 3 weeks old. I'm still debating with myself on how long to use it this time.

Back
Top Bottom