Chick starter food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by busymadre, Feb 7, 2013.

1. busymadre

busymadre Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2013
    Hickory, NC
    Buying my first bag of chick feed.
    When I called for pricing at "Southern States Farm" store here in NC, they said they have medicated or non-medicated feed. Don't see the 2 different items at tractor supply site. The Southern States Farm store is cheaper but don't know what kind to get. They will already have had shots so what do i get?

2. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    I used non-medicated for my chicks and never had any problems.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Which "shots" are you referring to? Was it for Marek's disease, Newcastle disease, Infectious bronchitis, Fowl pox, or Fowl cholera?

Chris

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  4. busymadre

busymadre Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2013
    Hickory, NC
    Ummm - gotta ask my friend who is getting them (she's a long time chicken owner)

5. Overoberyl

Overoberyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Florida
    I had always used non-medicated, figuring I didn't want to give my birds any medication they didn't need, until I lost a 5 week old chick to coccidia, without seeing any of the typical symptoms, it took a necropsy to find out what it was. Since then I use medicated until they are old enough to be on layer. Not sure what vaccines your birds have been given, but if they have been vaccinated for coccidia I would think giving them medicated feed would be redundant.

Just as an aside, I do hate giving them medicated chick starter for that long, but am hesitant not to after losing a bird. Recently I decided to try fermented feed in the hopes that it will serve the same purpose in preventing cocci in a much healthier and feed efficient manner. Haven't given it to them yet, first batch is still "cooking".

Unless you are in a high risk area, like the south, you are probably fine going with non-medicated, since they will probably be inside in a brooder for a while. If you feel your birds are at risk for coccidia once they go outside, you may want to consider medicated at that time.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  6. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Moist climates are ideal for Coccidia. Much depends on where your brooder is. If your chicks are on 1/2" wire and the droppings pass through it into a droppings pan, it will be a less risky environment. Since chicks generally go outside at 5 weeks old, It would be best to get them primed for facing the outdoors a couple weeks before. I'm going to feed an organic starter I'm fond of, and use Corid 9.6% in the water at 3 weeks old. I'm still debating with myself on how long to use it this time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by